Oregon Post 2


More Oregon pics here.

Thanks to Nick for that outlet mall info. We knew that there was a good one near Portland, but forgot the name and location. We went to a pretty small one in Seaside. They had a Christian store where I bought the Leadership Secrets of Billy Graham, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell (finally!) and Renewing the Center by Stan Grenz.

They had another book store which seemed to carry books that have never sold anywhere else in the world. I didn't recognize a single title! We bought Adam some clothes from Osh Kosh B'Gosh.

There is a store in the States, whose name always makes me chuckle: Dress Barn I don't imagine most women think of a Barn when they are deciding on what dress they are going to wear.

"Where's my dress?"
"Have you looked in the barn, honey? I think it was beside that bale of hay and the steel milk cannister."

Reminds me of another sartorial center: Suit Warehouse.

Rob Bell

Rob Bell is the pastor of a church in Grand Rapids Michigan called Mars Hill. He is also featured in the hugely popular Nooma videos. Bell wrote a book called Velvet Elvis a couple of years ago. I resisted buying it - is just sounded a bit too hip for me - I'd rather kick it old school with Tozer or C.S. Lewis.

Anyways, a few of my friends had referenced this book, so I finally buckled down and bought it. And... so far so good. Bell seems to represent the emergent church's shifting views on hermeneutics and truth. I think it is in the realm of hermeneutics, where the deep shifts among emergents is really taking place. This goes far beyond the cosmetic changes of worship styles, or a return to ancient liturgies.

Anyways - I'm sure I will find it all pretty provoking and will probably not agree w. everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls