City Fix


Dealing with suburban isolation

This afternoon we headed downtown on a lark. Felicia took the kids to science world and I was dropped off at one of my favorite pubs: The Irish Heather in Gastown, which is quite a bit more upscale since it moved into new digs across the street, making me wonder if it is still my fave. What I liked about it before is it was a bit grubby, similar to some of the pubs I've been to in Dublin.

I ran into one of my mentors: Brian Buhler. Brian is a local pastor who is one of the best preachers I have ever heard. I have known Brian since I was a Bible school student in 1993 - wow, 15 years! Brian was there with his wife and son. I joined them briefly and caught up a bit.

I also worked on my sermon in the pub.

Brian asked if I needed my "urban fix". I hadn't thought of it like that before. We came downtown for the kids, and also to check out a new Izakaya called Gyoza King. Coming downtown after being away for a month, I felt my heart beat a little bit faster as I got caught up in the energy of the city.

After supper, we thought we would do some shopping but it was pouring rain, and to be honest I just wanted to the the frick out of dodge. Robson was feeling cramped and tense. And so, we retreated to our suburban enclave once again.

Comments

Stu said…
I enjoyed this line: "What I liked about it before is it was a bit grubby, similar to some of the pubs I've been to in Dublin."
Santosh said…
Isn't it true? Most North American Irish pubs tend to try too hard and come across like a Disneyfied too polished Irish feel with horrible names like The Blarney Stone.
Todd Bee said…
my fav line in this one was about getting the frick out of dodge. actually laughed out loud
Stu said…
You're right! It seems like every irish pub outside ireland has the entire contents of a house nailed to the walls. Whereas most irish people I know like to ride their bike rather than put it up on the wall of a pub!
Santosh said…
I just read your comment to our young adult group, and they howled!
Anonymous said…
Talk about Disneyfied Irish pubs, Doolin's has got to be one of the worst. I've never even stepped foot in the place because its complete deliberateness freaks me out.
Anonymous said…
Three cheers for Brian Buhler!
Ruth

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls