Recovery


Leadership Team with Alan Hirsch

So much has happened since the last post. Saw Neil Young last Thursday - Wow.

Seeing Neil Young was unbelievable. When he played "Heart of Gold", I nudged my friend and said:

"We are seeing Neil Young play Heart of Gold!!!!"

The guy is simply a living legend. Very few artists share his rarefied space: Bob Dylan.... and who else - Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison? His influence spans U2 to Radiohead to grunge.

The next day I left for the NOVA conference in Kelowna, hosted by Willow Creek Canada. Speakers included Donald Miller, Erwin McManus and Alan Hirsch. I went with 8 other people from our leadership team. It was a pretty good conference, but I find as I get older I am less inclined to attend conference. I have been to several large ones with really big "names" in Christian leadership. The thing is that I read a lot, and will know most of the stories that the speakers are going to share. Many of these conferences tend to be quite shallow and seem overly focused on external factors of success - growth, buildings, etc. The one glaring exception would be the Regent College Pastor's Conference. The depth of these conferences are amazing. I will most likely always attend those conferences, as long as I live in Metro Vancouver.

The real bonus of the conference was simply attending with the leadership team. It was just great hanging out with them, and taking in some of the sessions together.

I have struck up a friendship with Alan Hirsch. We have been to 3 conferences together. He spent some time with our leadership team which was cool, because we are reading through Forgotten Ways together. Hirsch is leading the way for the reformation of old patterns of church structures.

Ok - I have been writing this post for like 3 days. Finally... it's done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls