Fasting

Fasting is a spiritual discipline where you abstain from food for a period of time in order to pray and deepen your relationship with God. It is practiced in many religions.

I fasted lunch and supper today. I was going to fast breakfast as well, but only had a few hours sleep last night, and so decided I needed something to make it through the day.

I'd like to be able to fast one day a week, but it's kinda hard because so many of my meetings take place over lunch. And also, I really like to eat.

Fasting is very difficult, but it is good. It is hard to explain the effects if you've never done it before. Some days when I fast, I really experience a real spiritual high. Other times I end the day angry and hungry.

But fasting opens up spaces inside you. For example, if I feel angry at the end of a day of fasting, then there is a reason for the anger, apart from just lack of food. And then I need to explore the root of that anger.

Halloween - this was the first time Adam got to go trick or treating at houses. In Yaletown, kids go to the stores and restaurants and get treats. It was fun - Adam was a dinosaur and Sophia was a hula girl with a grass skirt that we had got in Hawaii. Adam also had the thrill of giving candy to the kids that came to our house. He kept calling them our "customers".

Comments

Anonymous said…
I once did the 'master cleanser' fast, which is a combo of water, lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne... and that's it. I lasted for three days. I didn't get hungry but the fact that I had been eating everyday for my entire life and then suddenly stopped was a bit much for my psyche. I got a tad loopy once day three hit. I'd love to try it again for longer sometime just as a personal challenge.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls