Doctors, burgers, books and coffee

Took Adam to a pediatrician today. He's going to be ok. Then picked up some A&W - man those are tasty burgers!

We went to a Starbucks at Chapters to pick up some coffee beans. The beans at my parents were in their house since Chretian was first elected.

A big part of any vacation for me is reading. Consequently, I usually pack and over-pack a lot of books. On this trip I deliberately did not pack any books on the missional church, church leadership or leadership in general. This is because in Vancouver, I usually start my day by reading a passage of scripture, praying and then reading one of these types of books.
I believe part of my job is to self-educate myself on current ecclesial trends, societal trends and as much as possible on leadership and management. Therefore, I view the reading of these books as "work". Since I am on vacation, I don't want to read those books and get back into "work mode".

So, I brought a couple of novels and "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman, which I ashamedly have to admit I have never read.

Then I realized that after reading scripture and praying, I don't really want to read a novel. So in Chapters I bought a book by Mirozlov Volf and another by Nouwen. That should help redeem my quiet times over the next week.

Dilip and Gillian (my brother and his wife) arrived today. Dilip is currently applying to various Universities for a professorial position. Gillian is a lawyer in Manhattan.

Nice to be together with family.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Juli, the kids and I head back to Regina on Sunday afternoon. We'll have to meet up at the Chapters during the holidays. We are only there a short time (I have been forbidden to bring any work related books or TESOL textbooks with me on this trip). I plan on sleeping as much as possible (noble intent isn't it).

Jeff
PS how's the finger healing up?

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls