Chemistry


There are some people that you click with instantly - there is a chemistry that is there that is inexplicable. There are other people where it takes a little time to build up that sort of instant familiarity. And then there are still others with whom you can never ever ever break through to - its not animosity, it's more like ambivalence. You have conversations that are punctuated with extended awkward silences.

Well, this evening I had the warm pleasure of hanging out with some friends that fit firmly in the first category of friends. The Brotens have been long time family friends. I have many happy memories of Pioneer Camp, and just hanging out at their house with other Camp people.

The Pierces are other long time family friends - today I only got to see Daryl and Valencie. Daryl was in my wedding party and is currently an up and coming musician. Check him out here.

We drove to Saskatoon to see Felicia's family. It was fun showing off the kids.

Back to good friends: The Broten clan consists of Mr. and Mrs. Broten, Cam the politician (married to Ruth), Nancy the ESL coordinator at the U of S. Julianne the re-planted Belfast gov't worker. Julianne is married to Stu - a fine Irishman with a fine theological pedigree.

We had a great time (albeit much too short) with our friends in Saskatoon.

Saskatoon will always feel very homey (- homey like comfortable, not gangsta). But in the past 2 years, Vancouver really really feels like my home. When I was first living in Vancouver in the mid 90's I would go to the Vancouver library and read the Saskatoon newspaper to find out what was going down. Now, with the internet, I check out the Vancouver Sun everyday. (Latest interesting news - gang members now ride around in bullet proof hummers).

Yep - Vancouver is now home for me - only took 4 years.

Update - Tonight, I was discussing with Julianne certain things you notice about Saskatchewan when you come back. One is the wearing of "Husky Athletics" sweat pants in public. People in Vancouver never wear sweat pants in public - unless they are lulu lemon or juicy couture. So, tonight at Fuddruckers (!) there was a guy wearing Husky sweat pants AND a Husky Athletics t-shirt. I walked by him and gave him a broad smile, letting him know it was ok, brother.

Comments

Stu said…
Santosh, good to finally meet you. Hope we can meet again some time soon. Next time you meet up with Bono in Dublin make sure you come North for a while. Have a great Christmas!
Joel M-E said…
I am happy to say that I put on my husky sweats and sweatshirt this am... but thta was at 6am cause my son was crying - and I didn't leave the house.
Joel M-E said…
btw.. I laughed when I saw the imbedded image...

my daughter also asked andrea why she said that we were going "home to Saskatchewan" - when our home is in AB

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls