Ted Haggard

Ted haggard was the pastor of a 14 000 member church. He was the president of the National association of Evangelicals - representing 50 000 churches and 30 million Americans. He chatted with George Bush once a week.

I am using the past tense, because Haggard has admitted to buying meth-amphetmaine from a male prostitute who gave him a massage. As a result, Haggard has been let go from his church and has stepped down from all other of his public duties.

I felt sick to my stomach as the sordid tale unfolded in the media. I felt so bad for Haggard and his family and his church. For some reason, Haggard sought out solace from the most unlikely places.

I hope and pray for the next days and weeks for Haggard - I am sure they are going to be tough as he begins to unravel the factors that led to such risky behaviour. I suspect it will be a long long time before Haggard ever assumes a public role again, and when he does it will be in a much more diminshed role then what he had before.

And I thought our church getting kicked out of a night-club was bad!

I read Galatians 6 w. new poignancy this morning:

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself.

Comments

Anonymous said…
In your text you say those who are Godly...You should rephrase that to those who are with God..The other form is a very arrogant as on one should consider themselves to be GODLY..
Santosh said…
The apostle Paul wrote it - complain to him, instead of me.
Anonymous said…
and if you are going to complain, maybe offer him a piece of apple pie as that always seems to put him in a good frame of mind.
Anonymous said…
Hi Santosh
Just wanted to say hi to you and Felicia and finally let you know that I'm a lurker who reads your blog but never posts! Really sorry to read about the trouble you've had with the new church and hope that the storm blows over soon. Also, congrats on both the expected baby and the marathon. Stu and I ran the Dublin marathon last week and Belfast last may - painful but worth it.
Take care - Julianne
Anonymous said…
Read the new posts for the other postings. One in particular is very good - about you missing the boat. I think I agree.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls