Consumerism Rules

A Costco opened up 2 blocks from our apt. It is the first Costco to open up in a downtown core in Vancouver. This no doubt helps us to hold on to the image of having a livable downtown. I wonder if this costco will have to deal with all the poor and homeless who will drift in for the free samples. I mean if the middle class will stand in line for a meatball on a toothpick - don't you think the poor will to?

Costco is always such a wierd experience. After lving in India I occaisonaly get shocked by the choice and abundance of products we have here. Places like Costco or Walmart magnify it. Just rows and rows of every imaginable consumer products.

They have a 72" tv in there - that is the biggest tv I have ever seen.

Been reading the E-Myth by Michael Gerber. This is quite a helpful book for anyone starting a small business or planting a church. Gerber puts forward the franchise model as the ideal model for small business. Everything you do should be easily transferable in order for you to start a new franchise somewhere else in the world.

Consistency is important. I find this to be true. You can walk into a Starbucks or a McDonald's anywhere in the world and it should be the same experience. That's why when I travel I like to find a Starbucks because it makes me feel at home.

Going to the CFL Western Final tomorrow!!! Riders vs. the Lions. Go Riders!!! Although I am a bit pessimistic at their prospects. The Lions are the best team in the west. And Saskatchewan has lost the last 2 games here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls