Most powerful film (ever?)


This is a sad picture. These are the first 2 parking meters on our street. There has always always been free parking in front of our building. Now the city has put up these stinking meters. These two seem to have come up out of nowhere overnight.


Thank you for all your kind comments for the previous post. Gave me a chance to see who is reading this thing. Please post more - or e-mail me directly to spread the love.

Worked at the festival yesterday. Ran some errands and picked up a producer from London. There was not much driving at one point, so I was asked to help the caterer. I brushed pita bread with olive oil. I arranged spanokapita on plates. The food was for the nightly reception they have for guests of the festival. I want to go to things like that! Free food, free Stella, free wine!

There is a lot of stuff donated to the festival - boxes arrive daily - pocky, granola bars, san pellegrino water.

Last night and today were my first chances to see films. So here they are along with my mini-reviews:

Wide Awake - Chronicles a film maker's life long battle with insomnia. This is hte kind of film which is on CBC on Sunday nights, you surf through it - watch it for 5 minutes and then keep surfing. It was ok - not good or great.

So Much So Fast - Sell your kids and go see this movie NOW!!!! This is one of, if not THE most powerful film I have ever seen. It traces the sad degneration of a young man with ALS - Lou Gehrig's disease. This is the same disease Stephen Hawking has. The film follows him for 4 years and we watch as he goes from a man who looks completely healthy to a man who can only move his head, in order to spell out words for his computer to "speak" for him.

As we watch this sad tale unfold, his younger brother takes on the task fo finding a cure for ALS. With no knowledge, no money, he starts a foundation that will run medical tests in search of a cure. He circumvents the conventional path of drug testing. He raises millions of dollars and hires dozens of people for the foundation.

I left this film so powerfully moved. I was reminded that every day, every breath is a gift from God. Warren Zevon was an off the wall artist who was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He told David Letterman that the diagnosis caused him to "enjoy every sandwich". That's how I felt as I left the theater. I enjoyed the crisp fall air. I enjoyed the streets of Yaletown, the lunch I ate, my wife, my son and my health.

If you only see one movie this year, make it this one. Those of you who know me, know I see a LOT of films - probably 15/month. Consequently, I hope my opinion carries a bit of weight here.

Catch A Fire - Another amazing film. A political thriller based on real events from South Africa in the 1980's. It follows the life of black man unjustly accused of being a terrorist. Tim Robbins plays the cruel officer who interrogates him. This is a film about eventual redemption. It will soon be out in wide release and you'll be able to see it then. Also Felicia came with me! We got a babysitter and had a date! Sweet!

Hope to catch a couple more tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls