really wierd random thought


you know how you're going through your day and these really odd random thoughts come out of nowhere. i was having one of these today - i was thinking about what happens to sitcom stars who have one hit and then we never hear from them again.

do they get non-acting jobs? do they live off the syndication royalties? and then i thought of george jefforson's white neigbour on the jeffersons - he was the big guy who was married to a black women which caused george a lot of problems - the mixed marriage and all. (see upper left in pic above)

so anyways - i open up my computer - yahoo is my homepage and THERE HE IS! the actor!!! Franklin Cover died of penumonia!!! this guy has been unheard from since this show went off the air. the day i think of him he drops dead!!!

how wierd is that - pray i don't think of you today.

got the sermon done - interesting tidbit - there are 3 stories of the bible of women coming to draw water from a well - in each instance their lives are changed forever: rebekkah marries isaac, rachel marries jacob and the samaritan woman is shown real love from a man for the first time in her life.

one of the points in my sermon is that people can come into our lives for different reasons but they can all encounter love - without knowing that they will - what i mean is, these women came to the well for water - they all left with a new love in their hearts.

spoke to the baptist union exec. this afternoon at carey theological college.

also on a bittersweet note stan grenz's widow (edna) and i work together at first baptist church. she told me that they are clearing out stan's library and i was welcome to any books i wanted. i was excited about getting some fantastic theological books but also really sad at how i was getting them. what an honor to be given some of the books that shaped this great man's sharp mind. i feel a relevant.com article coming on.

"we are called to minister not to the past but to the contemporary context, and our contemporary context is influenced by postmodern ideas.” Stanley Grenz

Comments

Anonymous said…
hey santosh,

like the thought of these well-comers...

I check in on you at least a couple times a week and enjoy your musings.

Keep'em coming.

A thought: What is our current culture is moving beyond postmodern thought. For example, in my nephew's SFU classroom, his prof is unwilling to say (anymore) that morality is relative. This floored both me and my nephew. :) What is we're starting to move a little back to the middle from the pendulum swing?

And what does that mean for the church who is rushing to 'catch up' to the swing to the extreme?
Anonymous said…
Cool you are getting some Free Theo books. That inspires me, I think I will pass off some of my texts before I die..... to you Santosh I would like to give you my "Multivariable Calculus, linear Algebra and Differential Equations" and my "Engineering Fluid Mechanics". I would prefer to give them to a single guy, cause I know those books are great for picking up chicks..... I am sure that you will enjoy them for their content and not just for the fact that chicks dig guys that can do multivariable calculus. :)
Santosh said…
lol! joel - you joker.

i think i am going to start leaving quotes from this book called "after our likeness" - it is one of my favourite books on the trinity but is so dense that it is often incomprehensible on a first glance.
Santosh said…
hi andrea

i wasn't sure which andrea you were until i checked oyur blog. i also got to get a first look at your new husband. congrats!

there is a movement called post-postmodernism of people who are rejecting relativism and re-examining absolutes. your nephew's prof maybe one of them.

my brother is in the department of linguistic philosophy at MIT - he says that pomo has made very little headway in the academy - except maybe some of the soft sciences.

i think xians may be over analyzing this new era we live in. evangelism in a postmodern age at its core requires hearrts of love and a message of grace - nothing very complicated about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls