Winter Storm

First blast of a Vancouver winter. Unlike the rest of Canada, this just means that the sun disappears, the rains fall, the winds come and everything turns to liquid.

And as it turned out I had 3 different errands to run - they were all downtown, and since we live downtown, that meant walking, instead of making the inane move of actually driving, hunting for parking, paying for parking and dodging crazed caffeinated drivers in a DESPERATE RUSH to be somewhere NOW.

I got home and the bottom of my jeans were totally soaked.

Speaking of jeans - what's with all these jeans that are like $200-300? I wanted to buy a pair when we were in Seattle, but passed out with sticker shock.

I'm going to find a pair of ToughSkins or a nice $15 pair of Kirkland Signatures from Costco.

Spent most of the afternoon doing church stuff, while contemplating how to make the church grow. I stumbled across this great quote in Robbert Webber's "The Younger Evanglicals" (which is probably the best introductory book on the emergent church ever written)

Here it is:

"The best way to be effective is to care little for success. The best way to be a transforming leader is to care more about what's in your own hearts than what we accomplish. When we give up this need to be successful or powerful for purposes of inward validation, we are free to be truly effective in fulfilling our callings. I long to see the church led by people who care so little about being successful as the world sees it and care so much about being in touch with God and in community with the people that the reality of God's power is powerfully unleashed." - David Clark, Bethel Seminary

Awesome.

Adam kept coming into my office with his stuffed shark wrapped up in thread claiming he had trapped it. I think if I show him Jaws, that will cure him of his fascination with sharks (and probably land him in therapy for most of his developing years.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
dear santosh-

loved that quote. but what a challenge it is to resist "acccomplishments". the urge to do good quickly slides into the urge to be seen as doing good. this year took on a teaching position in psychiatry, the opps are endless to do good and to work myself into an exhausted state again. even doing good can be an addiction...

in the end, i guess its the every day challenge to stay close to
God and let Him show what needs to be done with the supply that he gives.

blessings,
stewart
Jeff Logan said…
I hear you about the "Jeans" thing - I was just complaining to Juli that I spent more than$50 for my last pair of jeans - that is the first time ever. Maybe thats not a big deal for others but as a kid growing up on a reserve my Lee husky-fit dungarees were my fancy pants!!!

BTW thanks for the quote - I just had two families leave our church over our positive (and biblical) stance on women in ministry (its more complicated than that but it is the real heart of the issue) - and I was struggling with what others will think about our 'success' in light of this.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls