High Water

High water risin', the shacks are slidin' down
Folks lose their possessions - folks are leaving town
Things are breakin' up out there
High water everywhere
"Don't reach out for me," she said
"Can't you see I'm drownin' too?"
It's bad out there
High water everywhere

The above lyrics are off the song "High Water" off of Bob Dylan's album "Love and Theft". Sort of appropriate for the state of emergency that parts of B.C. are in right now.

You can't win in this province - we are haunted by fire and water. Forest fires and flooding water. Pray for us.

Saw Apocalypto tonight. I think there is something seriously wrong with Mel Gibson - He could re-make Mary Poppins and have Mary get impaled on her umbrella - why all the blood Mel? It is an obvious thread from Braveheart, The Patriot, Last Temptation and now Apocalypto. I may never see another Gibson film again.

If you compare him to Clint Eastwood (the only other actor, turned successful director of the same generation), Gibson simply does not have the sophistication and gentleness that Eastwood portrays in his film making.

On that note, I think Eastwood is one of the best directors working right now - he has far surpassed his iconic status as an actor. Just watch Letters from Iwo Jima to see the influence of Kurosawa. The man is a genius.

Today was dull and grey - flashback to winter, although not very cold. I taught a writing lesson - in all my evaluations, I am told that I have great "presence" - which means... what exactly?

Comments

Jeff Logan said…
If you are looking for 'better' weather don't move east to Alberta - in the last 2 1/2 weeks my sons have struggled through their soccer schedule with games cancelled due to heavy snow, massive rain and extreme heat. I am not allowed to talk about Global Warming (living in Calgary and all) but things are sure messed up.

migwec

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls