I do not understand english

Aha! I have been inspired by one of the last posters to recall a humorous episode that took place on the white water rafting trip on Friday. So here's the scene - we have been trained on what to do in the rafts - we are all geared up in wet suits, rubber boots and helmets, we are sitting in the raft waiting to go. The guide is giving us instructions and then stops and looks directly at me and says, "Do you understand english?"

Now if I hadn't been so shocked by his question, I could have come up with a whole slew of responses such as:

"No".

"I just got off another boat and I thought this is the way I become a citizen , by shooting the rapids in the middle of the Canadian Wilderness."

"I understand english, but not one it is spoken by a kiwi." (our guide was from new zealand.)

"I don't know where I am."

Why would this guy think that I don't understand english when I am with a group of loud (predominatley caucasian) guys?

It could have gone on and on - I was mercilessly ribbed by the other guys for the rest of the week-end.

Still feeling the after effects of my cold. A good friend of mine is moving back to Halifax qafter living in Vancouver for 5 years. We go back a long ways. We were both co-directors of a program that helped street youth living in downtown Vancouver. He was also a member of our home group for 2 years. Sad to see him go but such is life - nothing is constant except God's love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls