Out and About

I have seen 2 very heavy films lately: No Country for Old Men and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

No Country is the latest Coen brothers film. The brilliant writing/directing team which has brought us Fargo, The Big Lebowski, and Blood Simple, among others.

Well, their latest offering might be their oddest yet. Based on a Cormac McCarthy novel, this film is a snap-shot of the degeneration of America. Well acted and good directing - but many difficult scenes to take in - leaves you scratching your head after.

Before the Devil - this is a film whose previews and reviews are completely misleading - I thought this film was about a bank robbery - a crime thriller like Heist or Inside Man.

This film was the most depressing thing I have ever seen - completely nihlistic - DO NOT SEE THIS FILM. It was brutal.

My best buddy and his wife are in town for a week of r&r from Calgary. Went for dinner with them and a few others tonight. Like an idiot, I forgot my wallet!!! I hope to pay someone back at some point - I just felt terrible.

We had a nice time over some excellent food. After, we headed to a couple of the hipper lounges in Yaletown. I gazed around at these rooms packed with designer embossed beautiful people, I felt a sort of sadness. I wondered how many of these people were really connecting with one another.

People are hungry for connection. Lounges, bars and night-clubs reflect that reality. In these places people observe one another with hungry eyes.

I also wondered how in the world the gospel of Jesus Christ would ever penetrate this bedazzling crowd. I think it will like it does anywhere else - through the sacrificial love of His followers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls