Urban Fatigue

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around.
The occasional acid flashback.

I have been teaching for 10 days now. In those 10 days, I have either walked or rode my bike to the school. My school is smack dab in the middle of the Central Business District of Vancouver - surrounded by high office towers. When you are there, you really feel you are in a teeming metropolis.

Even though we live downtown, in Yaletown, it doesn't always feel as urban as you might think. But this walk/bike commute is making me feel very very urban - far more then when I walked the 8 blocks to First Baptist, a couple of years ago, when I had an office there. I think it is because where I work now feels much more congested.

It is exciting, but the thrill wears off quickly. I'm not ready to move to a farm, but I have to say when Saturday rolls around, I am less reluctant to waddle down Robson or deal with the throngs at Granville Island. I would much rather mope around in my glass box in the sky.

I might have urban fatigue.

Didn't have time to start on that article, but hope to tomorrow.

Buy Icky Thump by the White Stripes, because it rocks and they played a secret surprise 30 minute set at EASTVIEW BOWL in Saskatoon - where WPL, Felicia and I rolled many a frame while drinking beers and acting like characters from the Big Lebowski - good times.

Comments

Julie said…
i read about that gig at eastview bowl. definitely one of the cooler things i've heard in a long time! i'm lebowski, you're the dude.
glad that the new job's going well - post more pics of the kids soon because they are so cute :)
Anonymous said…
I love this photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidemount/704777236/

"F**k it, Dude, let's go bowling."
-Walter the Vietnam vet

WPL

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls