Party on


Mayor Sam Sullivan checking out the Yaletown Street Party.

Today was the annual Yaletown Street Party - the 2 major streets in Yaletown - hamilton and Mainland are shut down to traffic, and there are a bunch of different activities going on, including a lot of live music.

Well, the weather sort of dampened things today - it was raining and cloudy all day. So it didn't seem as much fun as previous years. We did see the mayor roll through, however. He's having a tough time, with a massive civic strike underway - expect to see a lot of garbage on the streets. I also find out that I make roughly the same salary as a Vancouver garbageman. I should see if I can work as a scab during the strike.

I would like to recommend the use of a couple of resources for daily prayer:

Celtic Daily Prayer - A collection of daily devotionals, along with a rythym for daily prayer offices.

The Divine Hours - Phylis Tickle is someone I have discovered just recently. She has written several prayer guides, which divide up the day into 7 "offices" or times for prayer.

You could also just get the Book of Common Prayer, which is also a great resource.

So what I'm getting at is the need to have regular intervals during the day, where we set aside 5-10 minutes to be alone with God. "Praying the offices". Christians have been doing this throughout history, and I am grateful to have re-discovered this practice.

I use the Celtic book in the morning, and the Divine Hours throughout the day. I highly recommend having a pattern of prayer in your life - I can guarantee you will start to see incremental changes in your spiritual life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls