Tipping (and German Modernist Emil Nolde)



Crucifixion
by Emil Nolde
1912
Oil on canvas

Emil Nolde added a special, mystical dimension to German Expressionism, and his career illustrates a number of the moral dilemmas which faced German Modernists of the first generation, since his instincts were nationalist and conservative even though his art was regarded as experimental.

Nolde was a bit of a xenophobe and anti-semitic, before the Nazi's ever showed up. Most of his art was labelled degenerate by the Nazi's and he was outlawed from painting for some time. He was heavily influenced by Nietzche.


Because I live in the city center of Vancouver and because of my job, I end up eating in a lot of restaurants. As a family and as a couple we don't eat out that much because it can get quite expensive.

But as a pastor, the only time I can meet with most people is over their lunch break, which means eating somewhere. As a consequenceI have developed a philosophy of tipping and here it is:

I start off at 15% right off the bat.

If the service is good, it stays at 15%.

If the service is ho-hum, it drops to 10%.

If I feel we are being ignored, or the wait staff is really really bad, I leave nothing and I tell the manager.

If the waiter/waitress is exceptional the tip jumps to 20-25%.

I used to always leave something, but now I ask why? If I'm leaving the restaurant ticked off, why should I actually pay the person who put me in a foul mood?

When I used to deliver pizza's my tips were around $2/delivery. One night someone asked me to return a video for them. I had to phone my manger from their place and ask if it was ok. He said it was fine. For my trouble the girl gave me $30! Her pizza was only like $20, so I felt pretty good.

Note to waiters/waitresses - if you pay extra attention to Adam or say he's cute you are guaranteed a good tip. You could be totally terrible, screw up our order, ignore us for a half hour, it doesn't matter - you were nice to my boy.

On Deal or no Deal last week this guy won $200 - what a drag.

Comments

Loeppkys said…
I don't have an opinion about your doctor charging patients to make appointments but if there is ever a fee to order a pizza (or $75 for the year to become a "member" of the pizza store) then I will revolt.
Anonymous said…
Dude, a glorious past era was duplicated last night when I had the good fortune of dining at Jerry's Food Emporium with none other than Winston and Greg, both of whome still exuded a stupefying level of sweetness.

Tell me if you remember this: a "trip-out," a tent, some bedtime Song of Songs, and busting a gut with inordinate laughter. Do you remember the culprit? I don't think I'm exagerting when I say I've NEVER laughed as hard as I did that night.

Although I laughed pretty hard last night too. It goes like this: Greg just started a new job at Prairie Meets. He was unloading slabs of beef from a truck, putting them on meet hooks, sliding them into the freezer. When he described punching the slabs of meet "like Rocky Balboa," I burst out laughing.
Anonymous said…
Move to the UK and never tip again!

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls