God's Politics


My pick - Best Picture

I am halfway through God's Politics by Jim Wallis. I have wanted to read this book for quite some time. I got it for Christmas and have just started it now.

Wallis is the head of an organization called Sojourners. They represent a moderate evangelical voice, in contrast to the Religious Right.
I am liking this book - although the first 2 parts do not really say anything too new. His chapter on the Iraq war is excellent. Wallis needs a better editor - this book is way too repetitive. He repeats entire sentences word for word several times.

So the Oscar nominations were announced this week. Here are my pics:

Best supporting actor - Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine - although Eddie Murphy might surprise us here

Best Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson steals Dreamgirls - but I am rooting for Abigail Breslin (who used to go to my church!)

Best Actor - Forest Whitaker - locked in - he's one almost every other award this year

Best Actress - Helen Mirren in the Queen

Best Director - Scorcese - FINALLY!!!! this man has never won an oscar, but marisa tomei has?!?!?!?

Best Movie - Little Miss Sunshine

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oldman here..We may not agree on everything but your choice for best picture is the same as mine.A remarkable little film.Similar to FARGO
Anonymous said…
good call oldman!
-sn
Hayashi Family said…
hey, this is josh
meet at the church at 1:15?
Nancy Jean said…
dear oldman and sn - I am glad you two are finding common ground.
NjB
Anonymous said…
Oldman here (Michael).I thought I would tell you why I chose you to debate with. I am a lapsed Catholic who has very secular beliefs. I am partially disabled so I can't just go from church to church to find someone to debate with..But I LOVE to debate. I have a conection to one of your flock and because of that I came across your site. Baptists (fundamentalists) have always interested me, so when I read your blog i thought it would make for some interesting debate.If you prefer my personal email address I will gladly give it to you so I don't have to involve your congregation. I am not trying to change your beliefs.I am merely trying to understand them.Let me know if you have a problem with me doing this..It's your site so the decision is obviously yours...Thanks...Michael
Anonymous said…
oldman - its totally fine that you engage on the blog with me. I would be happy to continue to dialogue via the blog. Please forgive me if there are times when I do not respond - usually I am just to busy.

Let the conversation continue.

How would you describe your present spiritual beliefs?

-santoh
Anonymous said…
I do not believe in God as an individual entity.I certainly think there is a power greater than man but as to what it is I have no idea.I do not believe in an afterlife in any way shape or form in the spiritual sense but i do believe that there is a part of each person passed on through their children although it would take me quite some time to explain that.I think that your life is what it is and you should strive to be a good person but not for fear of a punishment after death, or hope of reward.I try to be a good person just because it makes my life easier.I DO believe in JESUS but not as the son of God.I believe that he existed as a man and spread values that mankind was in dire need of at the time.I'll have to stop for now..Time to make dinner...Michael (Oldman)
Loeppkys said…
hey santosh

i know you can see where people are reading your blog from..

carla & i are in the internet room at our hotel in cabo san lucas

what´s a tropical vacation without checking the blog of Vancouver´s favorite culture critic and socio-religious pundit?

pardon the bad spelling---it¨s a mexican keyboard and the pina colodas are kicking in..

coming to van in march..

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls