All work can be sacred


Os Guiness - Missionsfest Speaker

Well, as life gets busy, you can see that the blog posting begins to suffer. My favourite comment of all time was on the last post - Josh making plans to meet. He didn't have my e-mail or cel #, so he posted on here! Luckily I saw it in time and managed to meet him.

This weekend is one of my favourite all year in Vancouver: Missionsfest. This is a huge conference focused on overseas missions. They always get really good speakers. This year featured the critical thinker Os Guiness. Guiness was a contemporary of Francis Schaeffer. Some of his more influential books include The Dust of Death and The Gravedigger Files.

Guiness spoke on Globalization, calling and whether or not the West can be won back to Christianity.

Bruce Milne also spoke. Milne was the previous pastor of First Baptist and also a dynamic speaker.

And I think I saw Jim wallis there - I'm not kidding - I'm pretty sure I walked right past him, or at least a guy who looked identical to him.

I was really challenged by Guiness - He has an incredible grasp of the contemporary global situation. Although he kept calling it the "modern" world - never calling it post-modern, which I found interesting. Guiness and I have a couple of mutual friends: one in London, one in Delhi and one in Vancouver. So I chatted with him about them. He asked what I did - I said I'm a church planter in downtown Vancouver. He raised his eyebrows and said, "Tough job!"
I told you he was smart.

Felicia and I watched the original Rocky last night. I like that show - he's such a lovable character. Actually I like the entire Rocky franchise, with the exception of Rocky V which was universally panned as being unwatchable. I saw Rocky Balboa last week - it was a fitting epilogue to the series of films.

Busyness - Between Felicia's schedule and mine, it is insane how busy we are. One thing that now happens is if I have scheduled to meet someone and they do not show up or cancel, it is very likely that the next time I can meet them will be in 3-4 weeks. Crazy.

Tonight after Missionsfest, at first@night we ordered pizza, hung out. I had Katie share her testimony and how they adopted their daughter Haley - it was an amazing story. Then I shared a little about what Os guiness shared about calling - especially the sacredness of all work.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Miss your regular posting Santosh, come on - get your priorities right!
Anonymous said…
hey santosh, did you get my email about the resonate greenhouse on feb 12th, i wanted to make sure you knew about it.

let me know kyle AT theopenhouse.ca

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls