Cleaning me off of the street

Vancouver has a lot of street people. By that I mean there are a lot of people who live, sleep and sit on the streets.

The pan handling has gotten to a point that businesses on Granville Street have hired a private security firm to patrol a few blocks of the streets. It was in today's Sun.

SOOOOOO.... I had planned on seeing the movie The Descent (really gory horror flick - DO NOT go see it). I was waiting for my buddy Phil and was sitting in a little entryway near the theater.

When lo and behold, 2 behemoth security guards come up and tell me there is no loitering. (To loiter means to remain in an area for no obvious reason). I had a reason.

When I informed these 2 pituitary cases that I was waiting for a friend, I was told that I was blocking a fire exit. Now, some of you have seen me - I'm a bit overweight, but you would be hard pressed to build a case that I have the ability to block an ENTIRE fire exit.

So I got up and leaned against the wall and consequently made the streets a little bit cleaner and safer for the precious tourists and residents of this great city.

Your warning - do not sit on Granville Street - its against the law (I think).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brian Hutchison wrote a piece on the aggressive panhandlers of Vancouver in today's National Post (Aug 22 Page A3)

-Warren
Anonymous said…
You probably should have asked them if they had some spare change.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls