RAMBO


Rambo with a pulled shoulder after killing
100 bad guys with 30 bullets.

I watched Rambo tonight. I wanted to see it, because Stallone has recently become a Christian. How do I know this? Well, when Rocky Balboa came out, I got a bunch of info. that was sent to like every pastor in North America. The marketing team had put together bible studies and other things to persuade us to get our churches to go see the movie. Stallone even did a satellite "press conference" with some mega-church pastors, discussing his conversion.

Rocky Balboa did have some redemptive themes. Stallone made Rambo because he had been reading about the persecution of the Karen people of Burma. (The book is A Land without Evil, by eminent justice advocate Benedict Rogers - Rogers is also a former missionary.) This is probably the most under-reported atrocity of our time. The Karen people are basically simple peasants, who also happen to be Christians. They have been fighting for their independence from the Burmese militia for years... and have been cruelly persecuted in the process.

The book inspired Stallone to make the film, to bring public focus on this situation. I just wish he had made a better film. This film stinks - it is extremely violent and bloody. Apparently certain bullets are powerful enough to actually cut people in half.

And the writing... oh man. Actual lines from Rambo:

I don't know what to say. Then don't say anything at all.
When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing.
Any you boys want to shoot, now's the time.
Live for nothing, or dies for something - your call.

Adam's tennis camp ends tomorrow. He actually has a forehand! They played this game, kind of like Musical Chairs -they go around a circle and then when the teacher signals, they run in and grab a ball. Each time the teacher pulls one ball away. When Adam didn't get a ball, he burst into tears! The teacher's half deflated ball was little consolation for the little fella. Felicia and Sophia came today to offer support. Then we headed of to the best brunch spot in Vancouver: Sophie's Cosmic Cafe in Kitsilano. This place has a special spot in my heart - its where I first met Bono in person! (That's right, the first time - Bono and I met again in Dublin).

This was just waiting to happen: Gay man sues publishers over Bible verses

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree, Rambo is an atrocious film. It is so supremely violent that I had to turn it off after about half an hour.

Perhaps the reason the film is so violent is because Stallone wanted to create a filmic representation of the extreme violence suffered by the people of Burma under the current military regime. But I suspect that's giving Stallone too much credit...

By the way, I have another friend who's a pastor. He's also a HUGE U2 fan. I'm just waiting for the religious off-shoot: Bononites, Bonians, or something like that.
Anonymous said…
Hmm, I had never put much thought into it before now, but I do suppose that if the Bible outright condemns homosexuality, it could be considered hate literature. Oh my, King James has gotten himself into a pickle now...

(Just to be clear, I'm not saying anything bad about the Bible, only looking at the conundrum before me...)

peace, c.
Santosh said…
I think the larger problem, is that condemnation of BEHAVIOR, is taken in our society to be condemnation of the individual.

I'm not sure if he is suing the right people anyway - I think the original authors are long gone.
Anonymous said…
Even in the condemnation of behaviour, are we not then fostering the attitude of 'this is right and this is wrong' instead of accepting others as they are? I mean, if you are to condemn someone's behaviour, that incidentally harms no one, are you not then supporting a black/white society with no shades of grey? I would also say that in condemning homosexual behaviour, you are implying that sexuality has more to do with choice than biological make-up. If society has such difficulty with an aspect of humanity that is arguably biological, I can only imagine how loud people could scream against matters of choice, such as type of work, faith, or methods of child-rearing.

I actually have a lot more to say on this subject but I think it's more important for me to state that I very much respect your choice to believe whatever you like. I just have a feeling that we're going to choose to disagree on this one...

peace, c.
Santosh said…
Good points Craig.

I never said I condemn this behavior.
Anonymous said…
You're right, you never said that. Apologies for implying that you did.

Of course, that doesn't change my own opinion on the matter...

I really enjoy reading your blog, Santosh. I am not a Christian but was raised as one, private school and all so I do have an intimate understanding of Christianity. And I like to come here for the Christian perspective on some things and see how it relates to my own interpretation of the world. Thanks.

peace, c.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls