Leisure Problem


Soph having a tough time taming her mop.

Here's the thing - things have been pretty slow lately. There haven't been any big admin. type stuff I have needed to be on top of. I haven't preached in a couple of weeks. There have been a few behind the scenes things spinning pretty fast, but on the whole, I have been faced with some major down time.

This is the first time since September where I have encountered more then one day in a row where I haven't sort of had some kind of pressure hanging over me. About 9 months of frantic sprinting.

This new found leisure time is frankly a bit disconcerting. I feel a bit guilty and anxious that I'm going to be found out. I cannot sort of allow myself to just let go. I do have some biggies coming up. But for the last 2-3 days nothing too major to occupy my time.

How do we face leisure in a culture on perpetual hyper-drive? Even if I take a retreat of solitude, I still have pragmatic reasons floating around in my subconscious. We are too driven. We need to be more Zen like and just be - thanks Eckhart - some of his stuff is a little kooky, but his advice to slow down and enter into the present is pretty powerful stuff.

Just. Be.

Slow. Down.

Comments

Derek Vreeland said…
"Slow. Down."

Funny. I was just preaching yesterday on spiritual pathways (spiritual disciplines)... and the first pathway I talked about was stillness...slowing down.

You can listen online here:
www.cornerstoneamericus.com/sermons

Enjoy your down time!

Derek
ReverendKathryn said…
Your little girl is too cute.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls