Happy New Year and I'm still cold

Had a nice small gathering at the Delgado's last night to usher in '08.

Played Pictionary, where I marvelled at the Delgado's abilities to draw. Katie seems to want to do a whole back story to the word. For example, for the word "bone", she started to draw a house and a dog running after a bone - Juan just drew a bone and the other team got it in about 2 seconds. Then Juan thought the word "lather" was leather" and proceeded to draw a cow, and then a wallet.

The best move had to be Brent who for the word "Indian" just drew an arrow pointing at me!

We had lots of tasty food, and for some reason there was an over abundance of alcohol! We brought Kirkland Signature Champagne that we got at a Costco in Washington some time. We watched a couple of espisodes of the British Office which still makes me laugh as hard as the first time I saw them.

Then at about 11:40 we watched Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve thing from Times Square. A couple of observations:
  • does anyone else feel a bit uncomfortable hearing Dick Clark speak in that slurred post-stroke voice? I mean it's cool he's still doing it and all (I guess)
  • why the heck does Ryan Seacrest and that other chick have to wear those HUGE headset - Seacrest's antennae was like 3 feet long - they looked like cosmonauts
  • who were those "celebrities" standing with Seacrest at midnight? I think one was Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter, and then there were 3 guys dressed like they were in a Charles Dicken's play earlier that day
So - that's my critique of the "rockin'" New Year's.

And then today I did the Polar Bear Swim in English Bay. About 1500 people do the plunge every New Year's Day in Vancouver. It always looks like a lot of fun, so I decided to do it this year.

We left at about 2:00 - the swim is at 2:30. Traffic was SO bad and there was no parking - we didn't get to the beach until 2:45. Unfortunately most of the swimmers had left by then. We stood around and watched a few people still take the plunge. I was feeling kind of funny jumping in by myself with so many people watching. So we moved a bit further down, where the beach was less crowded and I did it! I jumped in once up to my waist, and then a second time I ran in and actually swam a few laps. The second time I really felt the cold!! It was freezing!!

I'm glad I did it - hope to do it every year we're in Vancouver.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls