Evangelism in the Pub



Last night I went to my favorite dive bar in Vancouver - its called the pound. Its right across from BC PLace, and a block from our Yaletown apt. Despite the great location, the place is pretty dumpy inside.

Its special to me, because it is also across the street from the school that i took my ESL teacher training, and every Friday, me and 2 other students would go there for a beer. It became "our" bar.

Last night, I met up with one of those other students, who is now pursuing a career in journalism. I had witnessed to both of these guys when we were students with about average results, meaning they didn't hate me after, but neither did they become missionaries after.

Anyways, my buddy contacted me because he wanted to talk to me more about my faith. So, over a couple of lagers we discussed the incarnation, the atonement, wether there was a logical consistency in the doctrine of the trinity and the nature of faith. You know, basic seeker questions..... right?

Anyways, the combo of lager and John Donne references landed me w. a headache. As we went up to settle our bill, a girl at the bar who had had more lager than Donne, asked us how our night was going. Then, she saw the book I had given my friend, "The Case For Faith" by Lee Strobel. She said her mom had told her about that book. I smiled and nodded wondering if this was actually the worst pick-up line in the world.

But then, she said she was currently reading the shack. We had discussed that book tonight, and I asked her what she thought. She said hold on, and dug the shack out of her purse, and proceeded to read some of her favorite parts.

At this point, I knew that I had stumbled into a pre-arranged divine encounter and that someone somewhere was praying for this young woman. I gave her my card, told her I would pray for her - we ar enow in touch through facebook.

I pray that this was a small advancement for the Kingdom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls