Eat More Food In Restaurants



I have been sick for 1 month - the longest and sickest I remember being in my adult life. I am feeling much better. Next week Felicia starts day long orienting at the local hospital in Port Moody.

These 2 facts (getting well and Felicia's busy week) led me to decide on the spur of the moment that we would go on a date tonight. Within 10 minutes I had secured a babysitter and dinner reservations.

We went to Fuel in Kitsilano. It's a great restaurant - winning all kinds of awards since opening a couple of years ago. I had pork belly rack! Basically - a big hunk of a pig's belly! From his belly to mine.

There were only 3 other tables seated when we arrived at 8:00, which is unusual in Vancouver. In our experience "hot" restaurants like these are usually pretty hopping most nights. We ended up being the last people to leave. At the door, we started chatting with the manager Tom, who is also a co-owner with the chef.

I asked him how the restaurant was doing. He said, "Not good". He said every high end restaurant in the city has been suffering since the economic down-turn. We were shocked at the stories he was telling us - restaurants closing, the top top restaurants in the city introducing half price tasting menus!!!! One of those restaurants actually closed down for the night at 7:30 PM on a Friday because there was no reservations - this is a restaurant that Felicia and I have been to - when we went, they were booked solid for 3 weeks in advance.

As he kept talking, our hearts just went out to him. He and the chef had been at another restaurant previously, and they went into business together pouring all their money into it. And now, they are watching their livelihood threatened by economic realities beyond their control.

He gave me his card, I gave home my card, saying I was a pastor and would pray for him. And I did tonight.

The current economic collapse has affected people in our church as well from lost jobs to lost contracts.

Its tough out there - but maybe we are learning to leave the culture of excess behind and starting living in the realm of necessity, instead of desire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls