Shacking!!!


I'm sure many of you have heard of the surprise bestseller, "The Shack", by William Young. It is currently #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list. Shocking, for a self-published book that literally only spent $200 on marketing. (It has recently been picked up by the 3rd largest publisher in the States, and is set for a major re-launch soon).

It has sold 1 million copies, and with the extra marketing muscle, is destined for even more. I'm pretty sure this guys going to be on Oprah soon.

I read the book while on holidays. I had all my normal "pop Christian" defenses up and.... was pleasantly surprised. I found the book actually deeply moving in parts. I won't give too much away, but let you discover.

The premise is this guy Mack's daughter is killed. Her bloody dress is found in an abandoned shack - but her body is never found. A few years later he gets a mysterious not in his mail inviting him back to the Shack for a chat. The note is signed Papa. When he gets to the Shack he meets God in Trinitarian form. The bulk of the book is the conversation that ensues which covers the church, the incarnation, the trinity, human suffering and eschatology.

There have been some criticisms of the book, as there always are of just about everything. There's some theological wonkiness, particularly on the dual nature of Christ. And the writing is basically 3rd rate. But, it is still a provocative book which I recommend for your consideration.

"But your choices are also not stronger then my purposes, and I will use every choice you make for the ultimate good and the most loving outcome.
You see, broken humans center their lives around things that seem good to them, but that will neither fill or free them.
They are addicted to power or the illusion of security that power offers.
When a disaster happens, those same people will turn against the false powers they trusted.
In their disappointment, they either become softened toward me or they become bolder in their independence.
If you could only see how all of this ends and what we will achieve w.out the violation of one human will - then you would understand. And one day you will."


"BUT THE COST - LOOK AT THE COST!!!"

Comments

Derek Vreeland said…
I just ordered The Shack. Got it from Christianbook.com. I was surprised to see that they are selling it, because of the (as you say) theological wonkiness.

Let's Skype sometime. I would love to hear more about your move to Port Moody. I am off to the beach next week with the family. Unlike my Canadian brethren, I don't need to get on a plane to find a white sandy beach...I am only four hours away!

I won't get The Shack in time to read it at the beach. I am reading Keller's The Reason for God.

Oh by the way, if you can pull yourself from Coldplay for a second, check out Jakob Dylan's solo album -- seeing things. It is a stripped down, acoustic album, very similar to the elder Dylan.

Derek
Santosh said…
Why are they selling it? Because it sells! Also, Eugene Peterson endorses the book, which gives it more legitimacy. I usually have my skype open - so just dial me up when you are free. And enjoy the beach!
Derek Vreeland said…
oh yeah, I forgot it does not matter what you believe as long as at sells. I will sipe soon

Derek

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls