More Sabbath Thoughts

I read that Eugene Peterson took his sabbath on Mondays. He and his wife would always go for a hike - they would pack a lunch and enjoy creation.

I thought that that is a good idea. So, this morning Adam and I headed out. We took it easy - a painless jaunt through some of the Stanley Park trails. Adam did not stop talking, making comments on every single thing he saw.

I think it is important for us to connect with nature. All the more since we live in downtown Vancouver - an environment of buildings, cars and people on the move. My kids need to be in touch with the natural world. I need to be in touch with the natural world. Because most of my life is consumed with the un-natural - cosmetic reality.

So, I'm going to try to do this every Monday morning with Adam.

But, here's where Eugene and I depart. I am an urban creature. I need traffic and noise and people walking around in a rush. So, this afternoon, I also went for a walk through downtown and saw the movie In Bruges - which was pretty pretty dark.

So, I need it both - I need the gentle re-creating power of being in nature and the brutal punch of pop culture served within an urban context. And that's just me.

Comments

Stu said…
Thanks Santosh, interesting sabbath thoughts. I'm reading EP's "Christ Plays in 10,000..." and have been enjoying some of his thoughts on work and sabbath.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls