Every life

Chris Giroux - 1965-2007

I read this story today in the Vancouver Sun. For those of you who don't follow the link - Chris Giroux was a drug addicted homeless binner who died when he took what may have been an accidental dose of heroin mixed in with his crystal meth. He fell face first into a dumpster and suffocated in a plastic bag.

Chris and I sometimes volunteered at the same time at First Baptist's Shelter program. He was a bit rough, but you could see kindness under the tough exterior.

He died 5 days after Sophia was born.

Every life is precious - the life of a newborn baby girl is precious. And the life of a drug addicted homeless binner is precious. Not because of any intrinsic worth in the individual. It is because every human being is created by God, and is the object of His love.

EVERY HUMAN BEING.

Comments

Jeff Logan said…
Having moved from an inner city setting to suburbia I was struck by this article. I think most people pass by people and can see them as needy, but what I really liked was the way the article (and your blog) highlighted that Chris was an active volunteer. A giver not just a taker.

It really dove-tailed with some of the comments Ray made about ministry to and with the urban Aboriginal community.

People are not just a project - and the biggest difference between Chris (and the people I worked with in downtown Calgary) and me is that his needs are more visible.

There are times I really miss the transperancy of ministry downtown.

migwec.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for this Santosh. Chris was a client, a friend and one of the best people I know. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do - all I had to do was ask. My heart is broken - I loved him and I miss him.

Sharon (formerly of FBC)

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls