COPS at 950 Cambie


Because once isn't enough for this stellar pic.

People have differing views about Vancouver. My friends from Alberta and Saskatchewan often marvel at what a big busy city it is. My other friends from Toronto or Montreal think of Vancouver as a small city with a bit of a complex - it wants to be seen as a global city - to be honest Vancouver is NOT a global city. My friends in Europe when I mention Canada - all they know is Toronto, or maybe Montreal - almost none of them have ever mentioned any other city (including Vancouver).

I don't think the Olympics will change our image that much. Look at Calgary - even die hard Calgarians would be hard pressed to call Calgary cosmopolitan or international. Vancouver is a city that believes it is cooler then it actually is. We are not trend setters. There is no real Vancouver style - basically all we really have going for us is natural beauty and mild climes. Don't want to sound like I'm totally slagging the place - I love it here - I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world - ok, Manhattan would be cool, or Mumbai, but that's it.

Anyways - all that to say this last night I witnessed soemthing that was really quite BIG CITY - I was up late, playing computer games. I heard some loud voices from outside and some sirens - nothing new about that. I glanced out my office window and it was a scene out of COPS, or a movie. There were 6 cruisers surrounding a red sedan. At least 5 officers had weapons drawn - including a rifle!

One officer slowly and authoritavely said "REAR DRIVER SIDE PASSENGER STEP OUT OF THE VEHICLE WITH YOUR HANDS UP - DO IT NOW. TURN COMPLETELY AROUND. WALK 5 STEPS TO MY LEFT, YOUR RIGHT. WALK TOWARDS ME SLOWLY - DO IT NOW."

Then another officer gets him to go to his knees and cuffs him. This happens with another passenger. In total 4 people were cuffed and arrested. 4 officers approached the vehicle with guns drawn. They searched the car. They moved to the trunk. 3 officers moved in close with guns drawn tight. The 4th officer (probably drew the short straw) had to open the trunk, but without the security of a weapon. He opened the trunk and jumped back, the other 3 officers closed in on.... nothing - the trunk was empty.

Anyways I videotaped the whole thing - if someone can tell me how to load it onto here I will. It was quite exciting.

I re-posted the pic of Adam and Olivia because it is quite simply one of the coolest pics I have ever taken.

I went for a drive today to get a better feel of our new SUV. As I pulled out of our driveway, I realized I had nowhere to go! I went across Cambie to 4th and drove by the beaches for a bit. Then I headed back downtown - I decided to drop in on Jacob's Well. This is a ministry that I would like to get more involved in - mainly because most of the people involved are my friends from Regent. My friend Jane was in, so we sat and had a brief chat about life. It's always refreshing to see these little flashes of light in an area that appears so dark to so many of us.

Full day of strategic meetings tomorrow: Judy Graves is sort of a local saint - she works for the city of Vancouver in the area of homelessness - at this point in our city's history, she is one of the most strategic and sought after people. She is regularly interviewed in local media. She has been gracious enough to allow me to spend the morning with her tomorrow as she "works". What Judy does, is everyday she roams the streets of downtown Vancouver and talks to the homeless. She tries to find one person who genuinely wants to get off the streets. She them immediatly contacts people in her vast network to find them immediate help. Should be exciting.

Then in the afternoon I am meeting Tim Dickau - pastor of Grandview Calvary Baptist Church. Tim is one of my heroes.
Tim has taken a church and led it to become the most missional church in greater Vancouver. This church is amazing - it is involved in all different levels of social justice and advocacy. Tim has agreed to walk the streets of Yaletown with me, and then share with me his thoughts on ministering in this area.

Will fill you all in tomorrow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
santosh - post your video on youtube then blog it.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls