The Path of the Lonely


As a pastor, I listen to a lot of other sermons, I read a lot of books and articles and I listen to a lot of people at various points of crisis in their lives. Every once in awhile I come across something which touches a deep part of me. Today I read something like that.

I was skyping my brother who lives trans-continentally in New York City and St. Andrews Scotland. Today He was in New York. On Wednesday he'll be in Scotland.

He directed me to this article:


It is written by Wesley Hill - a homosexual Christian man who has chosen to be abstinent, rather than fulfill his sexuality by being in a relationship with another man. Hill shows the incredible context of loneliness and secrecy that many homosexuals in our churches have to live within. This hiddenness is no doubt borne out of a number of factors - including the church's own reputation of intolerance, fear and sometimes even hatred.

I am deeply saddened that the church, which in theory should be an outpost of love, grace and acceptance is instead viewed as the LAST place you could admit the truth about yourself, if you are gay.

Hill is currently writing a book about what it means for him to be a homosexual Christian who chooses abstinence. I can't wait to read it - in fact I think every pastor should read both this article, and his book when it comes out. It will help us to be more empathetic and compassionate to these men and women who carry this tremendous secret around with them.

"God, help us to love and accept our gay sisters and brothers. These are men and women created in your image, who you love with an infinite love. Help our churches be "safe" places where they can process their sexuality within a context of love and acceptance."

Comments

wendy said…
Thank you Santosh for this post. Wesley is a brave disciple and his courage in being open and honest is a gift to the conservative Christian community still trying to find its way forward to be places that welcome the authenticity of our gay brothers and sisters in Christ.
Beth said…
Santosh, haha - commenting after Wendy. Man, she knows everyone! I wanted to thank you, too. I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking about sga people and the church lately, and taking in some of Wendy's material, and it was great to read the article you posted. I don't always comment, but I still enjoy your blog and check it out on a regular basis. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls