Dodged a Bullet

R.I.P. old friend.
You served me well.

I want to respond to Craig's comment on the last post on Osteen, because he makes some good points.

But first - big drama in the Ninan home! Here's how it went down.

About 4 in the afternoon yesterday, Adam, Sophia and I are happily skyping with my parents. Adam was playing his ukulele and singing these stream of conscious songs. There was a tall glass of water on my desk. Adam accidentally knocked the water onto the keyboard and.... effectively killed my Macbook.

I sprinted to the local Apple store. I related my dilemma - the guy gave me a look like I had just been shot in the stomach and was dying painfully. He said - its dead, but..... I think I can save the hard drive. That was sort of good news, as the hard drive contains pretty much all my work. I asked if he could transfer all the data onto another computer. He said, yeah.

On the spot, I bought the exact computer that now lay dead in my arms. I talked it over with Felicia - she agreed with me that basically to do my work I need a computer, a phone and my beloved books. Without those things, my job as a pastor is pretty difficult to do.

So, I bought the computer which is white, instead of the ultra slick black one I used to have. The guy told me he could probably do it in a couple of hours. I couldn't believe it - all my files saved.

2 hours passed, and then the store was closed. I went in this morning and he said they were have a tough time transferring the files - but he knows they are there, because they showed up on another computer. He said he would do his best.

At 4:00 he called and said it was done. I went and picked up my new laptop. Amazingly - everything was safe, except for my itunes library - I'm going to call Apple support and see if they can help me get it working.

So, I got my files back. And, here's the even better news - insurance is covering the cost!!! I can't believe it! What could have been a major disaster, simply became a minor incovenience! Thank you God!

It did slow me down a bit, as I was writing notes from my sermon using pen and paper! How pre-1990! Well, that was my excitement for the day.

Went on a nice 5 km. run and then consumed a liter of Gatorade to re-hydrate after.

Comments

Derek Vreeland said…
Bro..I so feel your pain. As a pastor/teacher, the laptop is the primary tool of our craft.

We are pastoring in a digital world. With a cell phone, laptop, and internet connection we can craft our sermons from anywhere in the world.

I just uploaded Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista...I am for the first time considering defecting from the MS cult and going Mac.

Derek
nick said…
The black backdrop is a nice tribute to your Macbook...

So what's wrong with your iTunes?
Santosh said…
I installed a new version of itunes and everything is a-ok now.
Julie said…
santosh!! i was relieved to read that your mac drama turned out well in the end :)

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls