Idol Gives Back and Keeps out Jesus


They had the "Idol Gives Back" episode where they focus on various charitable works around the world. A lot of stars were on, including Bono.

I was blown away that the show ended with "Shout to the Lord" - a very popular contemporary worship song written by Darlene Zschech of Hillsong Australia.

I have to admit, it was pretty moving hearing that song performed on what will likely be one of the most watched t.v. episodes of 2008. (American Idol is the #1 show on tv right now - and the "gives back" episode is usually the most highly viewed).

The performance did not come without some controversy - one word was changed. Instead of singing "My Jesus, my savior", the lyric was "My shepherd, my savior" . Now, I'm not going to get all right wingy here and moan and groan about how once again Jesus has been kicked out of the secular arena.

I just think that in terms of integrity, they should not have changed the song writer's original lyric. The song is a worship song to Jesus Christ. There are a ton on non-deity specific inspiriational songs they could have chosen. But, they chose Shout to the Lord, and they should have had the courage to keep Jesus in.

Oh, well - I think it was still cool that they had it in. I can't wait to see someone dancing to "God of Wonders" on "So You Think You Can Dance".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls