The Next Great Rock Band?


Kings of Leon

One week since the last post - mainly because nothing has happened in my life - nothing, na da. Not a thing. I preach 5 weeks in a row, and then I take the 6th week off to concentrate on other aspects of running the church.

Like this week, I charted out how our Advent services for go. We're pretty low key this year - there's a special children's service and a Christmas Eve service and that's it.

I'm reading an excellent book right now called "Between Two Worlds" by John Stott. It is a book on preaching, and it is really incomparable. There is not a single book written on preaching that compares to the breadth and depth that Stott give the subject. If you are a preacher - READ THIS BOOK. If you attend a church, buy your pastor this book.

The title of this post refers to the band "Kings of Leon." I first heard of this motley group of 3 brothers and one cousin on U2's last tour. They opened for them. I didn't pay them much attention, as most of u2's opening acts have been pretty unremarkable - Fun Loving Criminals, anyone?

I thought they were ok, but they didn't change my life in anyway. They next cropped up opening for Bob Dylan 2 years ago. Apparently they were personally selected by Dylan.

The 3 brothers in the band were raised in a Southern Pentecostal Holiness church, where there father was a preacher. I haven't examined their lyrics very closely to see what, if any influence is displayed there.

The music is pretty much straight ahead southern rock, bringing to mind Tom Petty with an edge, or maybe a more youthful Allman brothers band. They are a good band, but are certainly not genre breaking like Radiohead was when they first came on the scene.

The reason, I have labelled them as the next great band, is because of a gig they have coming up in Dublin. A new stadium is opening called the O2. Kings of Leon will be the first band to perform there. Well, actually, the second, as U2 will be the opening act. You read that correctly: u2 is going to open for this band. They will play a set, then the Kings of Leon, then both bands will play together. I don't think U2 has opened up for anyone since the mid 80's.

Anyways, check them out - you might like them. I've only bought a couple of songs on itunes.

Comments

Jeff Logan said…
did you see them on the Hour? I only caught part of it but I meant to check them out following the interview.
Santosh said…
I saw the interview, but missed the performance.
Anonymous said…
The best opening act U2 ever had was Lone Justice/Maria Mckee - her voice is amazing.

@U2 mentioned that the source of "U2 the opening act" is a bit risky.... but it would be cool - That would definately give hte Kings of Leon a huge boost.

Joel M-E

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls