#44


Yes he did!!!

Barack Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States tonight. I honestly didn't think that I would see a black man elected president in my lifetime. I thought it would be another hundred years or so.

I was at a Canucks game tonight, and watched the election results in between periods on the tv's in the hallways of GM Place. When they flashed the election results on the big screen during the game, the whole arena exploded in cheers!

When I saw that he had won, I welled up with emotion. I hadn't felt like that since watching Nelson Mandela walk as a free man in South Africa almost 20 years ago.

What a historical day. We can all say we were a part of watching history unfold.

My day was also filled with sadness as well. My friend Andrew Temple died yesterday. Andrew had been battling cancer for the last several years. He finally succumbed. Andrew was a friend of mine from Bible school. Over the past year we had been corresponding over facebook. He kept me updated on his progress and I prayed for him and marvelled at his inner strength and resolve in the face of such challenge. Andrew leaves behind a lovely wife and 2 beautiful kids. He was 37, a year younger than me.

I have another friend who is also battling cancer right now as well. She and her husband have also shown heroic strength and a truly miraculous grace as they face this illness together.

I believe that God gives extra grace and strength to His children when they are faced with such obstacles. We, as well need to do our part and be humble recipients of that grace. And this is what I have observed my friends doing.

Comments

Jeff Logan said…
Juli and I were just talking about Andy. I knew him from High School and Juli was friends with his sister.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls