j-pod


I am a pop culture junkie. I like popular books, movies and music. So, in my attempts to continue to stay relevant, I went to hear Douglas Coupland read from his latest book: J-Pod. It's a book about people working in the gaming industry. The parts he read were very entertaining.

He took a few questions after the reading and then signed his books. He signed my Generation X and Hey Nostradamus! I asked him about reading at Regent College. He said he was supossed to do it a long time ago but it never happened. Then I asked him how he researched the Christian club that is described so well in Nostradamus. He said he just made it up. I told him, but it was bang on! He said, yeah, that's what he's heard. He even heard that some Christian clubs are using the book to teach their member how NOT to act.

Coupland also mentioned that when he was in high-school he wanted to go to the Christian club, but they told him he couldn't come. Sad, huh? This brilliant writer's life trajectory could have been so mcuh different if those Christians had shown him some kindness.

Be kind to one another.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am a huge Coupland fan. I thought jPod was good, but his previous book better. We need to see this kind of quality fiction come out of the Christian community.

Peace,
Jamie
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed "generation x". It captured the zeitgeist of the early 1990s and provided a name for a whole generation for marketers.

-Warren L
Santosh said…
it's interesting that coupland never actually licensed the term "generation x" - he would have made a lot of dough off of it.

for awhile i was reading every book of his as soon as they came out - i think i ended at girlfriend in a coma.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls