Are You Robin Williams?



When we lived in Vancouver for awhile I had the interesting fortune of meeting celebrities - I never sought them out - they would just sort of be where I was : grocery stores, video stores, etc.

In 2005 Felicia and I were out for a movie. After locating our seats I got in line for popcorn and soda.
As I was standing in the line, I glanced over at the man next to me. He was short but very muscular - I thought he might be a body builder.
I looked at his face and thought he looked familiar - he returned my gaze and I thought he looks a lot like Robin Williams - his chin is much more pointy than in films and tv.

A few more seconds and I was confident it was him - I asked him "Are you Robin Williams?"
He said yes.
Then I fumbled into verbal idiocy as I wasn't sure what I should say now.
So I said "I'm a big fan of your stand-up". which is true.
He said thank you.

At this point, I should have shut up and focused on the line. Instead, I kept going.
"Is Vancouver treating you well"
Oh my gosh - what was wrong with me?

He said Vancouver WAS in fact treating him and his family well.

And then I shut up.

He then left his line to get 2 bottles of coke out of a fridge to our left.
When he turned around to come back, 3 people entered the line ahead of him.
He sighed and took his spot at the back.
He got his popcorn (2 large bags) and headed to his film.

And that was it - I interacted with him for a total of maybe 40 seconds.

The question I am left with tonight is how could a man with so much resources available still be incapable of dealing with depression and mental illness?

It's a question without an answer because the answer went with him this week.
For some reason, there was a pain and pathos behind the comedy that finally took him down for good.

For me, it is a painful reminder and plea that if you struggle with depression - TELL SOMEONE - your isolation compounds your pain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Where the Light Falls

Coaster goes up (a little)