Ithaca New York


Kids enjoying birthday cake in the new house.


4 months into this adventure of social adjustment to life in Ithaca New York.

So far, so good.

The first week was hard because we didn't have any of our stuff and felt destitute, despite having a house to live in and clothes to wear, and food to eat - we just didn't have OUR STUFF.

2 months in, both Felicia and I went through a sharp Vancouver withdrawal as we reminisced about our favorite restaurants, the natural beauty, the myriad of activities available to kids and the general buzz of living in a big city.

That withdrawal lasted about 2 weeks, and then it passed and Ithaca began to feel more and more like home.

And now, we have moved into a newly purchased house - on my birthday!

And it is a nice house, a comfortable house in a nice neighborhood. Some days when I am driving home and the sky is blue and the lawns appear extra green and I spot my patriotic neighbors American flag waving proudly, I feel like I am in a manufactured scene out of a television show or movie.

But, I am not. This is real. This is the life I am living.

This split level house firmly ensconces me in the middle class suburbia.

And I start to come to terms with the reality that my  life IS here and Ithaca doesn't just feel like home anymore - it IS home.
We will raise our children here and Felicia and I will serve our church and our community with the gifts God gave us.

I can now say I love living here (I couldn't say it, when I was going through my post-vancouver blues, but can now).
Ithaca is a fantastic small city.
Our church is great.
My job is fulfilling.
My kids are happy.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not painting some unrealistic portrait here.
Life is still hard.
My kids sometimes act like ethics and morals are optional.
I misunderstand Felicia.
Felicia misunderstands me.
Sometimes, I feel frustrated by things in ministry.
The dark shadows of envy or resentment sometimes spring up unannounced when I read of some other pastors' "success" in church growth or book sales.

But, when the scales are balanced, there is more to be thankful for than not.
Sometimes I feel like I am living a life that I am not worthy of.
And, for that, I am grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls