Selfish Love: Buzz Bishop and His Favorite Child




Between all of my kids, these 3 are my favorite.

There is a blogger, writer guy in Calgary who has generated a lot of media buzz. He is also a father.

Now, let's see if it is deserved.

Buzz Bishop wrote a post on a parenting web-site stating that his eldest son is his favorite.

Here's a link to the blog:

http://blogs.babble.com/kid-scoop/2012/09/19/admit-it-you-have-a-favorite-kid-i-do/

Some quotes from the post:

If I were to be absolutely honest, my older son is my favorite of the two

Yes, I have a favorite son and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

 I just .. y’know .. like him better.

My wife loved the babying of our boys, I was wanting them to run, and kick, and play.


Now, why do I call Bishop an idiot? Because he has an undeveloped and immature view of love and relationships. He has no concept of unconditional love. His is an immature selfish love.

The key is this line:


my oldest son is my favorite because he can do more things.  To me, he’s more fun

Bishop favors the eldest child for utilitarian reasons - he can do more things - they can share in more experiences together - he admits to not really enjoying the first 2 years of parenting because the kids don't do much.

So, if we follow his line of thinking, if one of those kids falls ill and can't do much except lay in a bed and suffer - that must mean that kid will fall our of his favor. After all, he will no longer be able to do more things.

True love is not measured on how much we benefit from the relationship.

True love is always measured in how much we are willing to sacrifice for the other.

Bishop's immature selfish love is the root cause of divorce, child neglect and the over all breakdown of the family in the western world.

Love cannot survive in a selfish heart.

I think Bishop will continue to favor his eldest until that child outgrows his usefulness to bring joy and pleasure to Bishop's heart. And then Bishop will move onto another person or thing that can meet his self centered needs.

I have three children. I have thought if any of them are my favorite. And none of them are my favorite. But, my relationship with each of them is quite different. And each relationship is precious and beautiful and I wouldn't change the way in which I relate to any of them.

I love them each equally, but differently based on the differences we each bring into the relationship. But none of them can be differentiated into a favorite one. 

i would hate for any of my kids to one day grow up learning that Dad had publicly written for the world to see that he was not the favorite child.

Buzz Bishop is immature and selfish.

And he has made two grave mistakes. One is favoring one child over the other. The second is making his self centered parenting preferences publicly known and forever embedded on the internet.




Comments

Unknown said…
I entirely agree. Great post!
buzz said…
Would calling me an idiot be from the Christian perspective or just being hateful?

I hope this post somehow brings you closer to your religious beliefs and is something you can discuss with your children one day as an example of what people who believe in Christ should do on the internet.

I am fully aware some people do not agree with what I say, and they are going to write about it.

The language you choose, however, says a lot more about you than it does about me. To call yourself a Christian in one breath, and then me an idiot over a 1000 word essay in another, takes a lot of moxie.

Dial up Romans 12:10 and have another look at what you wrote, what you're saying and who you are really hurting.


Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Where the Light Falls

Coaster goes up (a little)