John Stott


Dr. John R.W. Stott passed away on July 27 2011. I know I'm a bit behind in posting my thoughts, but I was on holiday last week, and just couldn't get around to putting my thoughts down. I spent all day today writing a longer article which will appear in the Light magazine next month. I interviewed several people who knew him well, including Dr. J.I. Packer and Dr. James Houston.

When I got the news (via Facebook) of Stott's death, I was really sad. You see, I was friends with John Stott. Seriously. He knew my dad, and his affection for my father was passed on to me. I met Stott a total of 4 times in my life, and each time he greeted me with a warm hug and concern as to how I was doing.

The last time I heard from him was three years ago. I had written him about one of his older books and its impact on me. He said he was delighted to hear from me, and that I was to pass his love on to my father.

Stott was truly a great man. A fierce intellect coupled with a disarming humility. He will be dearly missed by the global church he served so faithfully.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls