As It Is In Heaven


Last night, I saw one of the best movies I have ever seen. If a film can be a conduit of grace, this one is it.

As It Is In Heaven is a Swedish film made in 2004. I had never heard of it, until Eugene Peterson recommended it to a group of pastors in Colorado this past fall. I came home from that retreat and I added it to my queue from my local videostore that has a mail delivery program like netflix.

It finally arrived this past week, and man, I wish I had discovered this film earlier. It is absolutely stunning. It is along the lines of Babette's Feast or Chocolat, but more powerful.

I am not going to reveal much about it - I knew nothing about it when I ordered it - only Eugene's endorsement. Even watching the trailer, it is hard to know what it is about.

But, I learned so much about the power of community, grace and love. I would love to show this to my elders board - but it has some nudity in it, so that might turn some folks off.

You will enjoy this movie - Felicia and I really loved it. (There is some nudity and violence - so gentler viewers be warned).

I will reveal one part. Part of the story involves a woman caught in a situation of domestic violence. Someone writes a song for her to sing. At first, she is terrified - but soon musters the courage to sing it at a recital. As you watch this woman sing in her beautiful voice who has been brutalized most of her life by cruel men,whose life has been stolen from her, it is hard not to be moved to tears.

Here are the English translation of Gabriella's Song

It is now that my life is mine
I’ve got this short time on earth
And my longing has brought me here
All I lacked and all I gained

And yet it’s the way that I chose
My trust was far beyond words
That has shown me a little bit
Of the heaven I’ve never found

I want to feel I’m alive
All my living days
I will live as I desire
I want to feel I’m alive
Knowing I was good enough

I have never lost who I was
I have only left it sleeping
Maybe I never had a choice
Just the will to stay alive

All I want is to be happy
Being who I am
To be strong and to be free
To see day arise from night

I am here and my life is only mine
And the heaven I thought was there
I’ll discover it there somewhere
I want to feel that I’ve lived my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Where the Light Falls

Coaster goes up (a little)