The Article

This is the full text of the article I wrote that appeared in our local paper. Enjoy.

Unexpected Delivery

On January 11, 2010, our 2 children were in bed, and I was waiting for my wife, Felicia to come downstairs so we could watch the movie I had rented. After waiting a few minutes I ambled up to our bedroom. It was dark and Felicia was doubled over in pain by the bed.

The day before, Felicia had complained of some contractions. Apparently, they passed (I never knew they could just like …. leave). So, she is doubled over, groaning and moans that we have to go to the hospital.

Now, I start a sort of manic running around and packing frenzy. We called a friend who was our back up to look after our kids if anything should happen. (Interestingly, we had only asked her the day before!)

We have managed to get Felicia to the door of our house and we waited for our friend Lorna to arrive. As we’re waiting, I heard 2 noises at the same time – a splash and a loud gasp from Felicia. I looked at her, and then looked down to what it looks like when a woman’s water breaks. At this exact moment Lorna’s SUV pulls up in our driveway. My heads on a swivel as I look from Felicia to Lorna and sort of silently try to communicate what is happening.

Felicia calmly told me to call 911. I was very non-calm as I fumbled with the phone to dial those precious 3 numbers. I got 911 operator Chris who told me to lay Felicia down somewhere comfortable and that help was on its way.

So, I found a nice piece of hardwood floor by the entry way and eased Felicia down onto it. 911 Chris now told me to get two shoelaces and a safety pin. As I obediently ran to get these objects, I started to wonder if I had some sort of McGyver 911 guy who was about to try some experimental childbirth method he had been concocting during the slow times of his job. I gathered said items.

By now, I could hear the alarms of the fire truck. I ran to the entry gate to our town-house complex to ensure the gates open (they had been kind of temperamental lately.) As I ran in the rain towards the sound of the sirens, I felt for a split second like I was in a movie, and some Coldplay or Snow Patrol music should be playing in the background.

I re-entered reality and guided the fire truck in. The firefighters organized themselves and made their way into the house. I asked if any of them had delivered a baby before. They all looked at each other and agreed that none of them had. This served to amplify my already anxious state.

So with these 5 hulking firefighters in the 4X6 space of our entry-way, we started on a very interesting journey of trying to bring a baby safely into the world. People ask me if I was nervous during all of this – to be honest, things happened so fast, it was impossible to be nervous – no time.

So, back to the entry-way. Here’s the picture:

· fffffFelicia is lying on her back, breathing and in obvious discomfort.

· IaI am kneeling by her head holding her hand saying inane things like everything’s going to be OK and I’m right here

· There are 2 firefighters standing to Felicia’s left – one of them is holding her cel-phone up, so we can hear 911 Chris’ words which are now infused with all kinds of gravity

· Firefighter Steve is in the key position with his hands ready for the snap

· Another firefighter is next to me – I can’t recall what he did – maybe he was monitoring me through the whole thing, making sure I didn’t pass out.

T There was a 5th firefighter who I believe was in the garage and would peek in from time to time to make sure everything was ok – again things are happening so fast, it is hard to recall all the details.

· L Lorna (our life-saving friend) who came to take care of our 2 other kids is halfway up the stairs next to the entry way watching everything transpire with a mixture of disbelief, concern and awe-struck wonder

·Ao Sophia – our 2 yr. old is holding Lorna’s hand, wide-eyed and silent

· (Adam – our 5 yr. old was out cold in bed)

911 Chris is giving calm, measured instructions to all of us, especially firefighter Steve, who is in the prime position. Felicia is breathing and pushing. I am breathing and pushing down all the nervous anxiety fighting its way into my brain.

Things progress naturally, and all of a sudden a head pops out. There is a wave of concern when Felicia anxiously moans: “He’s not crying!!!!” We wait a few seconds that stretch out into an eternity.

Finally, the entire child comes sliding out into the fateful hands of firefighter Steve. He and another firefighter are juggling the baby as they try to wrap him in towels. At one point I distinctly hear someone say, “He’s slippery!” The baby is immediately named James.

James is moved up into Felicia’s anxious and impatient arms. He is wrapped in one of our hand towels. Oh – he is crying and screaming at this point, making up quite nicely for his initial reserved entry.

Now, we sort of stare at each other trying to process what just happened. A baby was just born. James was born, not in the sterile safety of a Hospital birthing room, but on the uncomfortable non-sterile cramped confines of the entryway of our town-home.

The paramedics check out mother and child, and confirm everything is ok. (I’m pretty sure they gave me a quick up and down, to make sure I was still holding it together). They loaded mother and child onto a stretcher and moved her into an ambulance for transport to the hospital.

As we’re coming out, our neighbors are all on their balconies trying to determine what drama had taken place so close to them. I got to tell them the good news (in a high-pitched manic voice, I might add).

A little while later, we are pulling into the emergency department of Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminister. All the emerg. nurses come running towards Felcia to see the “firefighter baby”. Their excitement was contagious, as even the sick people looked up and nodded at our good fortune.

We got into a room and a number of medical professionals came in and out, checking out Felicia and James. Finally, at 1 AM, I felt all the energy and adrenaline quickly evaporate from my body. I collapsed into a chair next to her bed. I was also extremely thirsty. After a bit of hydration and some time bonding with my impatient newborn son, we decided I should head back. I would come back in the morning with Adam and Sophia who can marvel at the new addition.

And thus concludes the story of how James Abraham Paul Ninan showed up. Born in Port Moody, aided by 5 courageous fire fighters and a faceless 911 operator. I share this story because it helps us see that we do live in a world of wonders. Many of us live lives of frantic business, and the wonder and mystery of life often gets suppressed in the rush. But, every once in awhile we have a moment where the miracle of life creeps in on us. It could be a sunset or an unexpected kindness from someone. The birth of James was one of those moments for Felicia and I.

I hope that all of you will experience many such moments of wonder and grace. They do happen. I know. It happened to me.

I also wrote this, so that there would be a public acknowledgment of the Port Moody Fire Department and the 911 staff member who made sure James made it home safe.

We were able to have a very special visit with all 5 fire fighters about 3 weeks after James was born. It was honestly one of the most special moments of our lives, to be able to meet and thank these brave men who did such a great thing that day.

So again, thank you Captain Arlen Gatzka, Lt. Rob Suzukovich, Firefighter Brad Robinson, Firefighter Steve O’Brien and Firefighter Brodie Jamieson. And also thank you 911 Chris – I hope James gets to meet you someday.

Comments

nick said…
What were the shoe laces and safety pin for?
Anonymous said…
Shoelaces - to tie the umbilical cord. Safety pin - still don't know.
ME said…
Wow this is great Santosh! Thanks for sharing it---as I am not exactly in reach of a port moody newspaper.

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls