U2 and I (Part 2)



Well, after that amazing encounter with Bono, the next time I would hear U2 would be in Mumbai India. I was living in India when their next album came out: All That You Can't Leave Behind.

I saw the video for Beautiful Day on tv in India. I think I ended up buying the album in Canada, though. This album marked a new era of creative excellence for the band. They toured that year and I saw them twice - once in Vancouver and once in Minneapolis.

I went to Vancouver with Felicia - our seats were behind the stage, which wasn't so hot - great show nonetheless.

Minneapolis was awesome - drove down with a bunch of guys from Saskatchewan. We lined up for rush seating on the floor. We had our sleeping bag and camped out at 8 in the morning - we were about 50th in line.

I have to say that staff at the arena were incredible. As the time got closer, they let the first 50 people into a small pub, and then into the arena - we ran and secured front row spots, right under where Adam Clayton would be. It was unbelievable to be that close to them! What a great show, and a great trip too.

After that album and tour, would come another incredible meeting with Bono. My brother was getting married to a girl from Dublin, so my whole family went there for the wedding. It was a dream come true! I had a whole U2 tour planned, but no one wanted to go except for Felicia who was almost 8 mths. pregnant at the time.

We first went to their offices - a security guard informed us that the band would be at their studio a little further away. We got to the studio - it was in an industrial part of Dublin with really nothing around it. There was no one there - we waited a bit and then a VW Jetta pulled up. A guy got out and we asked if the band would be by - he said come back at night. Turns out he is the manager of the studio and Larry Mullen Jr.'s drum tech. and has worked on every album U2 has put out.

So, after that we went and saw Bono's house which was cool. We went out for Chinese food with my folks - it was now quite late - about 10 PM and it was raining, and I thought of heading back - but Felicia insisted we go, as this would be my last chance at getting to meet them. So, we trekked back.

By now there were about 10-30 people from all over the world milling around. The entire band was inside and we were the first few people to hear the songs from their next album - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

After about an hour, the garage doors went up and a Mercedes came out - it was Adam Clayton - he slowed down and waved at everyone.

The next one out was Larry Mullen Jr. driving a very old Mercedes. He did not slow down, but sped past everyone.

I walked to the side of the studio, which overlooks a body of water and saw Bono come out the back with the guy we had made it earlier. I ran back to tell everyone he was coming.

A blue Maserati pulled out, scraping the curb. Bono drove up to us, got out and said "Howdy, folks". He spent almost an hour posing for pics and signing autographs for us!

Here's my conversation:

Me: Good day from Vancouver, Bono.

Bono - A good day in Vancouver it is! (He also wrote this on The Joshua Tree album that I got him to sign).

Me: Eugene Peterson says hi!

Bono: How do you know Eugene?

Me: He was my prof. at Regent College.

Bono: You're kidding me! You won't believe what that man's scholarship has meant in my life.

Later as he was leaving, I said "God bless you Bono - not just for your music, but all the good you are doing in the world!"

He said - Well if you know Eugene, then I'm sure you're doing some good as well!

At this point, Bono let a couple fans in his car and then announced he had room for 2 more. I turned to my friend from Dublin - it was his birthday that day! And I indicated for him to enjoy the greatest birthday gift he will ever get! And with that, I missed my chance to be driven by Bono!

It was pretty much one of the most amazing moments of my life - way more meaningful then the first time.

I ended up seeing them once on this tour - but I did get to be in a video shoot for the song "City of BLinding Lights" - that was pretty cool. This time, I again lined up early in the morning and Felicia and I were second row - I got some awesome pics from this show.

This past Wednesday I saw them once again with Felicia. It was at BC Place. We had floor tickets, but because I now have a job that keeps me pretty busy, I was unable to line up earlier - we got there just as the opening band was starting. I was surprised that we were actually quite close to the stage, and had a direct sight-line to the stage. It was the best U2 concert I had ever been to.

I already have tickets for the Edmonton concert, and plan on lining up early to secure front row seats again. I will most likely see them in Seattle as well.

So, as you can see, my life has really been formed by this amazing band from Ireland. U2 has opened up the world to me - without them, I doubt I would have heard or have even cared about a lot of the great social injustices of the day: drop the debt, Burma, fighting AIDS in Africa and so on.

Their music transcends a mere art form. They have soul. We all sat on the couch tonight and watched some of Rattle&Hum - it was so cool to explain to Adam who all the band members are. Adam has agreed that on the next tour he will be old enough to go. Sophia might still be a bit too you - she'll probably be about 6.

So, that's a summary of what U2 has meant to me over the years - from the War album to last Wednesday, they have been a pretty big part of my life, and will certainly continue to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls