U2 and I (Part 1)

U2 circa. 1991.


I have never written an entire blog on U2 before so here goes.

I first heard of U2 when I was 13. An older kid in youth group told me about this Christian band that were really big. I bought the War album on vinyl and liked it - especially "40".

I started buying more of their music and in high-school I gained a quick reputation as being the "U2" guy.
By this time I was collecting a lot of boot-lef albums and buying every magazine or book about this band.

Side-note --> In high-school, was also the first time I used U2 songs for class assignements. I used Sunday Bloody Sunday in Grade 10 english - have no memory of what the assignment was. I would again use the Robbie Robertson song featuring U2, "Sweet Fire of Love", for a grade 12 assignment.
I have since used U2 songs in my undergrad and graduate schools for assignments, and also in sermons that I have since preached.

In grade 10, I remember borrowing 5$ from someone to buy the Rolling Stone magazine that first featured U2 on the cover, bolding calling them the band of the 80's.

When my Dad got a cd player, the first cd I got was Joshua Tree.

In grade 12, U2 came to Vancouver and there was a train going from Saskatoon to Vancouver called the "U2-choo-choo". I couldn't convince my parents to let me go.

Next year U2 released a feature film called "Rattle and Hum". I drove my little sister, little brother and another friend to go see it. It was awesome.

U2 didn't do much until they released Achtung Baby in 1991. This was a dramatic shift for the band with a new image and sound which was quite different from anything that had gone before.

Just like Joshua Tree, they once again played Vancouver - this time I was able to convince my parents to let me go. So, I jetted off to Vancouver with my friend Warren. Our original plan for tickets didn't work out, so I had my first experience with a scalper. Our seats were beside the stage. At one point I wandered down to the main floor. I reached the cat walk just as Bono was walking on it - I didn't realize this was the first of a handful of encounters where Bono and I would be sharing the same breathing space. I was soon bumped back to my seat by a security guard.

After Achtung Baby, U2 released a couple of weak albums: Zooropa and Pop. Both had one or two good songs, but their departure in image and message ended up with them losing a few long time plans.

I saw them twice on the PopMart tour, once in Vancouver and once in Edmonton. The Vancouver show was pretty good, but I was high in the upper level and the sound was horrible. You felt like there was something going on, but that you weren't a part of it. It was still a great thrill to see them live again, though.

The day after became a day I would never forget. I was having a late brunch with a friend from InterVarsity at Sophie's Cosmic Cafe in Kitsilano. As we were eating, we noticed a security guard walked through. I mentioned that someone famous must be around. My friend said, its probably for him. I looked back, there was a guy in a suit, sunglasses and an ear-piece - he didn't look like anyone famous, then I looked at the table in front of him and directly across from me and it was Bono!!!!

After regaining the ability to breathe, I tore off a piece of my paper table mat and boldly walked to his table and asked for an autograph. Here's the conversation:

Me: Excuse me Bono, could I have your autograph?

Bono: Uh, I normally don't sign while I'm sitting, but I'll make it fast.

Me: Thanks, That was a great show last night - I've been a fan since I was 13.

Bono: Well, you'd better stay 13, then!

Me: Thank you so much!

Bono also wrote "stay 13" on the paper - which is framed with a picture of him and sitting in my office.

My next post will continue my U2 odyssey, including the 2nd encounter with Bono where he offered to give me a ride into downtown Dublin, and why I declined!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls