Billy Graham

I don't think I can recall when I first heard of Billy Graham or heard him speak. He was always in the background of my life growing up in a Christian home in Canada. Maybe it was watching a crusade on television. Here are some reflections on the man and his impact on my life....

When I was in high school, my church hosted a crusade by one of his associates, John Wesley White. I volunteered to be a counselor at the youth night of the event. I can't remember much except that the guy I prayed with to receive Christ called me the following week to tell me he got a new job and he felt his life was finally back on track.

The next brush with the Billy Graham organization was when Franklin Graham held a crusade in my hometown of Saskatoon Saskatchewan. My mom was the prayer coordinator at that event and got to know many of the leaders with the Billy Graham association along with other pastors in the area. I was living in Vancouver Canada at the time so was not involved.

This particular crusade was memorable because Billy surprised the crowd one night and preached. Another interesting fact was that it was during these series of meetings that the decision was made for Franklin to take over the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. It always strikes me as remarkable that a major decision of one of the largest ministries in the world was made in Saskatoon SK!

I have heard Dr. Graham preach twice - both at conferences, not crusades. The first time was at Urbana 87. He spoke on "Are you a follower of Jesus Christ" - it was a basic evangelistic message. The 1980's were not a kind decade for televangelists - both Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker had fallen morally and their ministries were on a hiatus. So, when Graham walked to the podium he was greeted with a standing ovation from the 18000 gathered college students. I'll never forget what he said:

"My old nature appreciates that. My new nature is trying to stay humble."

The next time I heard him speak was in 1994 in Louisville Kentucky at a large conference for evangelists. I can't remember his message  but that conference itself had a big impact on my life and ministry through the many other speakers who were there: Chuck Colson, EV Hill, Luis Palau and Ravi Zacharias.

Someone asked me how Graham had impacted my life. I think there are two things I take away:

1. Integrity - Graham stood head and shoulders above anyone else in Christian ministry, and yet it was hard to find something to besmirch his character. The closest would be the unfortunate conversations he had about Jewish people with Richard Nixon. These incendiary comments were caught on tape and were released a few years back. Graham said he can't remember making them. He contacted prominent Jewish religious leaders offering to make a public apology. The response was, and apology was not necessary - his life exemplified grace to all, including those he had offended.

2. Faithfulness - Graham never wavered from his calling to be a preacher of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He was offered political positions and even movie roles! But, his call to preach the gospel remained primary. At times, when I feel the weight of ministry or even just the discouragement that can come from time to time, there is a temptation to quit and do something else. But the call of God keeps me anchored and in place.

3. Simplicity - Someone has said Graham only had one sermon which he preached thousands of times. In truth, Graham preached the gospel thousands of times in thousands of settings.

The day after Graham died I played a summary video of his life to my kids. My 8 year old son James said,

"He was a great man."

Yes, he was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls