Redeemer Presbyterian Church and Tim Keller


Entry to Redeemer Presbyterian Church 
West 83rd in New York City.

This past Sunday we had the opportunity of attending a worship service at Redeemer Presbyterian Church on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
Redeemer is a fairly well known church throughout American Christianity (and likely on farther shores, now).
Their fame is due to their growth to 7000 people attending one of multiple services at 3 different sites across Manhattan.
Somehow they have managed to plant and sustain a vibrant growing dynamic congregation in a very complex and challenging city.
Along with their growth is the remarkable gifts of their lead pastor, Timothy Keller.
I first heard of Keller in the early 00's when we were attempting to church plant in downtown Vancouver.
I read one of the earliest drafts of his church planting manual - which is still one of the best resources for church planters or anyone wanting to minister in a global city.
Soon, I discovered his sermons - there are several free ones on the Redeemer website - but I also purchased many as well. (I currently have 182 sermons of his on my computer)
I've also now read every book he has written with the exception of the 2 most recent ones.
He is uniquely gifted to speak into our current climate go skepticism, narcissism and relativism.
He combines philosophical articulation, biblical orthodoxy and the deep needs of the human heart in a very compelling way.
I would say there are three men who have most formed my preaching and approach to Christian ministry:
John Stott,
Darrell Johnson (my former professor at Regent and current Senior Pastor of First Baptist Vancouver) and … Tim Keller.
I've had the good fortune of hearing John Stott and Darrell Johnson preach live.
So, on Sunday it was quite a thrill to hear Tim Keller speak live in the natural surroundings of his church.

Keller was excellent, speaking the language that a driven career minded New Yorker could understand.
It was interesting - he walks on stage from a side door just before he is to speak.
He speaks.
And then walks directly out the same door.
This is most likely because he needs to save his energy for the multiple times that he will preach on a Sunday.

I'll post later this week on the actual service and the little bit that I observed of the children's ministry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Where the Light Falls

Coaster goes up (a little)