Friday March 30 2012


Sophia took this pic. with the ipad.

Adam had a dental appointment this morning. Felicia was off today. She worked a day yesterday which meant she got a normal night's sleep, and woke up when most people do. So she took him -which I'm grateful for. Going to the dentist is never great fun. But, taking your kid is even more hard.

So, I was left to navigate James and Sophia. All our kids are at an age where they don't need a lot of oversight, which is weird to say because Sophia is almost 5 and James is only 2. Yet, they seem to be able to occupy themselves quite well.

The most surprising is how well James can play on his own. Not a very needy kid. So I started my day as I often do these days - a light breakfast. And then I read my Bible. Today I read John 20 and Philippians 4. I also read an old out of print devotional by E. Stanley Jones. After the reading I try to do some listening prayer. This is the most challenging part - as the kids are kind of loud and sometimes James will come up and try to get my attention.

After the Bible and prayer, I set aside some time for some kind of devotional or theological reading. I have set aside 30 minutes a day to read some kind of Christian book almost everyday, for the last 5 or 6 years. It's an easy discipline as I love to read. Currently I am reading a rather controversial book that questions the Christian doctrine of the atonement. I disagree with the author, but still feel it important to read things I disagree with.

After that, I went into my home office and began my daily routine of searching out ministry vacancies. Most days there is nothing posted on the multiple web-sites I check. Maybe once a week there are 1 or 2 positions that I think I might be good for. So, I craft a cover letter and send off my resume with a pic. of my family. (I try to imagine that the pic of my kids will soften their hearts - and make them want to give me the position, so that my kids will have food to eat).

After I've done that, I checked on the kids, see if they're hungry and still uninjured. They can always eat so we have lunch or a snack together.

Today, Adam came back in a lot of pain. So, he sat on my lap for awhile - which is kind of awkward since he's 7. But, I realize that these are some of the last times he'll ever want to sit on my lap, so I enjoy it.

After a bit of family bonding, I went back to my office, and went through some books that I normally don't get the time to read. Very quickly the day ebbs away, and it was time to take Sophia to her ballet lesson.

I like watching her dance, but I don't really like the dance studio. The area they have to dance is quite large. But the area for parents to sit is the size of an average closet. And the window through which we can see them is about the size of the windshield of an Corolla -which I mean is small.

On top of that, I'm usually the only male there. The other moms have bonded through the mere fact that they are in the same place at the same time every week. I'm not really interested in chatting so usually bring a book and headphones. I'm pretty sure I send off a "i'm not really here" kind of vibe. There is one mother who I am pretty sure lacks the ability to modulate her speaking voice. I have never heard another human being talk as loud as she does. Remember we're in a closet together.

Every sentence sounds like an announcement being given by someone who'se microphone has broken and feels the need to match the previous amplified volume.

"I KNOW! SUPERSTORE IS SO CROWDED AT THAT TIME."
"THE KIDS HATE THAT POOL. SO WE DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE."
"HAVE YOU SEEN THE LORAX?"

You get the idea. Even with the volume cranked on my headphone I can still hear her. In 10 years, I bet her kids will all have hearing aids.

After that, we came home, had dinner and then Felicia left for work. This left me to orchestrate the evening routine of stories, teeth brushing, snacks. All three kids are remarkably very good about going to bed.

Tonight, after they went to bed, I finished the book "Bossypants" by Tina Fey. It is pretty funny and can be read faster then actually watching one of her movies. Then I watched an episode of The Wire.

And now, here I am back in my darkened office listening to the latest Coldplay and typing out these words for you.

And that was Friday March 30 2012.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Where the Light Falls

Coaster goes up (a little)