Eugene Peterson, Novels and Poetry


Eugene Peterson in Colorado saying something good.

It's an overcast afternoon in Port Moody. I'm in my home office drinking Tazo Awake black tea. My office has sliding glass doors that open up to our small back patio. I usually have squirrels and cats roaming around back there - but no visitors today. just me, my tea and some Van Morrison to keep me company.

I have had 2 separate invitations from editors inviting me to submit articles to their respective publications in the last 2 months, which I am taking as some kind of sign to start writing again. I used to write quite regularly for Relevant magazine from 2001-2005. And then for some reason, I just stopped. Even this blog - I used to write a ton., but have not written in quite some time.

With the increase of demands from church and other areas, I simply found it was too much to keep the blog updated and to dream up interesting magazine articles.

But, here I am back at it. I also even have a book idea I've been toying with, that might actually come into some fruition in the near future - we'll see.

Last month I was privileged to be a part of a conference that took place in the Colorado Rockies. About 50 pastors from the U.S. and 2 pastors from Canada were invited to spend 3 days with Eugene Peterson discussing what it means to be a pastor in North America today.
It was fantastic, a definite high point of my life so far.

The 2 main things I got from the conference were the following:

1. Patience. Eugene said patience is lacking among pastors today. We need to be patient with our churches, with people and with our ministries. In a world of micro-waves, fast food and drive-thrus, it is hard to make this paradigm shift. As a pastor, one of the toughest things I face is being unsure if my work actually accomplishes anything.

Example - I walked by some construction workers working on a site. I thought - at the end of the day, these men get to actually SEE what they have accomplished - a window was put up, or a door frame. On a day where I am working on my sermon, I am alone in my office, surrounded with books, typing away - unsure if I am even on the right track. I finish the sermon, preach the sermon, and still wonder if it went anywhere. I need to have faith that these words I speak will actually "land" somewhere as the Spirit guides.

2. Novels and Poems. Eugene also said that there is a great need for pastors to read 2-3 good novels/yr. and to read really good poetry. I though this was quite interesting. His reason was that good literature and poetry awaken our imagination to new possibilities, that are beyond the scope of theology, church management or leadership books. I think he's right. The arts have a capability of reaching beyond the mere intellectual and emotional faculties of our minds and souls. And pastors, more than anyone else are in dire need of that kind of illumination.

Consequently I keep a book of poetry by Irish poet laureate, Seamus Heaney at close hand. And ever morning after reading my Bible and praying I am reading the brothers karamozov by fyodor doestoevesky.

3 days with Eugene - so grateful.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls