On Turning 40 and Joy

On Friday July 30, I will turn 40 years old.

Yesterday, Felicia, my parents, sister and whole church surprised me with a birthday cake and catered lunch following the Sunday morning service. It was a special day already, because we dedicated our son James. My father actually performed the dedication for us.

I was quite surprised by the party, which was actually completely planned by Felicia. I really can't believe I didn't find out - as it took a month of planning.

Anyways, it was quite stunning. I got enough Starbucks cards to keep me caffeinated for quite some time. I also got over 20 birthday cards, which surely must be a record for me. I am so grateful to Felicia for all the work she did in planning this thing!

I can remember when my dad turned 40. Another man in the church also turned 40 around the same time, so they had a combined party and were given a lot of joke gifts high-lighting the fact that they were getting older.

Now, I'm the one getting older. It feels odd, but it is also natural. People ask me how I feel. I feel like myself. I guess I feel 40. Physically, I know I am no longer 25 years old. (This was made obvious after the pain I endured during a brief hike today!).

Mentally, emotionally, I feel grown up. I think the past 5 years I have done a lot of maturing because of some of the things I have gone through in ministry. The past 2 years especially, leading the church, I have learned and matured quite quickly.

Becoming a father sort of accelerates your maturity, once you realize the responsibility that baby places in your hands.

My current life is really quite good:

I enjoy my job.
I love my wife.
I have 3 awesome kids.

I feel I am where I am supposed to be. I probably have the same amount of regrets or unfulfilled goals, as any other man my age. These deficits don't keep me up at night. My life is full.

The most recent thing I have been learning is in terms of the emotional culture that should exist in places where the Kingdom of God has extended into. There were 2 larger events in the life of our church. We had a Hawaiian party for the kids of our church last Saturday, and then my party yesterday. At both of these events, there was a distinct moment, when I looked around and sensed real joy. I felt it and I saw it in the faces of the people around me.

I am convinced we will do well to evaluate our ministry efforts, more in terms of how much joy they generate, than in the numbers of bodies present.

Joy - hallmark of the kingdom.
Joy lives in my life.
Joy that flows out of the heart of a God who know a lot about joy.
Joy that is made possible by a wife who is an expert at creating an environment where it can be cultivated.
Joy from 3 kids who radiate joy, unbeknownst to themselves.
Joy an outflow from a mother and father who mothered and fathered me well.

How do I feel?

I feel joy full.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go to church

Coaster goes up (a little)

Where the Light Falls